Pusher’s realtime APIs power applications around the world. When you see an app sending push notifications, using a chat feature, a collaborative text editor, or anything else that updates instantly, it could be us shifting events behind the scenes.
As an Android SDK Engineer, you will prototype and build new features on one of our SaaS API products. You will have strong ownership over these features and have opportunities to write and talk about them publicly. You will use your experience shipping features to help prioritize future engineering effort and shape our roadmap.
What will you be doing?
- Contribute to the full feature development lifecycle, from prototype to sunset.
- Identify elements of our Android SDKs that need improvement.
- Propose and implement changes to follow industry-standard best mobile practices.
- Help customers successfully integrate our APIs into their apps.
- Help shape the future technical strategy of the product.
- Mentor more junior members of the team. Share your Android and mobile knowledge around the team, in engineering, and throughout the business.
- Participate in recruitment planning and interviewing.
What will you learn?
Great software engineers never stop learning. We want to provide you with opportunities for improving your knowledge. As an Android SDK Engineer:
- You will solve difficult problems at the scale that Pusher operates at.
- You will learn from experienced engineers with varied technical backgrounds.
- You will help take Pusher’s products through a period of significant growth, encountering many unique engineering challenges along the way
- You will learn how to create awesome developer experiences, through validating your approaches with peers and customers.
We are looking for Android engineers to join two of our product teams that launched into general availability in 2018:
- Chatkit, our chat-as-a-service product. Chatkit allows developers to add chat functionality quickly to their web and native mobile apps.
- Beams, our Push Notifications service. Beams focus on building the world’s best developer experience for sending programmatic push notifications for iOS, Android and MacOS.
You don’t need to decide which team you would like to join immediately, as the role responsibilities and requirements are similar for both teams. We’ll discuss this with you throughout the interview process.
What have you done?
- You’ve written complex Android applications that have addressed the technical difficulties and quirks of Android.
- You’ve written, maintained, or contributed to quality open-source Android libraries.
- Developed networked mobile SDKs with user experience top-of-mind. Ideally, the SDKs supported a multi-tenant use case.
What are you like?
- You optimize your work for conceptual simplicity over brevity
- You’re highly aware of current Android development practices and the wider mobile development ecosystem.
- You love making other developers’ lives easier, listening to people, and asking questions.
What Pusher is like
We strongly believe in the importance of diversity and inclusion. They not only provide a better working environment but also improve the quality of our services. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
We are here to help our customers build delightful applications. By solving significant engineering challenges and packaging them into easy to use APIs, we help developers focus on making their users happy.
We put emphasis on collaboration between people and teams. Everyone is on the same mission, so sharing work helps us reach our goals faster. Throwing problems over the wall and pointing fingers at each other is not our style.
We strive for transparency. Keeping everyone well-informed is crucial for building trust, efficiency and satisfaction at work.