At Labster we are dedicated to empowering the next generation of scientists to change the world. Our goal is to develop software that makes learning both engaging and effective, and to make it accessible to as many students as possible. In order to accomplish our goals, we are partnering with major publishers and other EdTech companies and just recently announced our partnership with Google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1154&v=XJXEFZ3PEN0
. We are growing at a very exciting pace, with continually new fascinating projects and partnerships. Are you ready to join and help drive this growth with us?
We govern ourselves by using a flat-hierarchy system called Holacracy that is focused on roles, collaboration and distributed leadership. We believe in flexible work hours and a good work-life balance, and while we love to achieve great things via concentrated work, it’s incredibly important for us to have happy and engaged team members and to hire people who are great cultural contributors.
We are looking to fill this full time position located in Bali, Indonesia. We invite you to experience a 2-3 year adventure with us based in our Bali office. The right candidate will work with us to create a massive impact, while having fun with an amazing team and enjoying all that Bali has to offer. After you’re time in Bali, it is our hope that you see an exciting and extended future with Labster, possibly based in another exciting location that we both determine relevant in our mutual future.
You have a background in technology, you have done some coding, but you’ve moved away from only coding to be great at bringing people to collaborate on technology and projects. You can see a problem/solution from various perspectives, for example, you understand back-end development and their perspective, even if you’ve never held the role of a back-end developer. Your background & personal stack ideally includes some combination from our stack and are willing to learn Unity3D over time. Some ways to describe your story & background:
- Computer graphics and/to technical artistry
- Game development and/or VR/AR development
- Solid understanding of one high-level programming language, preferably C# and/or Python, but we welcome people experienced in C/C++ , Ruby, etc.
Your day-to-day tasks
Leadership in Bali location
- You have a balanced interest in technology in people and know how to proactively and constructively bring people together to challenge and improve the status quo
- Through collaboration, you’ll be a source of leadership for the teams & office, but not by default a team manager.
- With your clear and constructive communication you work closely and collaborate with other cross-functional teams e.g. Content Development and Art to:
- detect and resolve tensions
- enable knowledge transfer between cross-functional teams
- to establish modern software engineering best practices (ideally in alignment with Agile and Holacracy)
- improve processes and outcomes
- facilitate changes in teams, work flows and projects
- When you’re not collaborating with teams, you are able to code and implement solutions for our platform and/or content development pipeline. This could include:
- 2D or 3D assets if you’re tech background is from art OR
- Content design features and layouts with XML if your background includes mobile application development
- Participate in designing and developing new features for our highly popular virtual laboratory simulation and gamified education platform
- Driving improvements to our coding practices (such as test-driven development practices)
- Contributing product ideas and working within the Product team to help refine product features and requirements
- Due to your background in technology you can also dive deep into technical challenges, proactively propose solutions
You could be a great match if you
- Possess excellent and proven leadership experience
- You are developer at heart hence you have a solid understanding of algorithms, design patterns, and best practices
- Have a tendency to propose smart yet simple solutions, individually and with groups
- Possess a high level of empathy together with great communication skills
- Understand importance of continuous feedback and recognition
- Have the ability to work in close collaboration with a team with projects in an ambitious and fast-paced environment
- Have an education in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Have experience with Unity3D or similar game engines
- Experience working with Agile methodologies or knowledge of better methodologies (also regarded as a plus)
Why should you join us?
- You will have the opportunity to take a part in very exciting projects and to work for a company with a noble vision
- We provide a friendly and productive work environment with fun, smart, open-minded international people
- Freedom to work remotely, with a company culture and infrastructure designed to make remote work effective and possible
- Access to one of the coolest offices around (we think so) with probably the highest-quality Internet on the island, even on our gorgeous rooftop terrace
- We provide a competitive salary
- Company warrants as part of your compensation package
- Weekday meals are provided in the office
- You will have a chance to live in a beautiful island of Bali
- We will provide you a personal relocation package, international health insurance and visa sponsorship