Luno is a leading global cryptocurrency company operating across more than 40 countries and with offices in London, Singapore and Cape Town. We’re Series B-funded and backed by some of the top tech investors in the world.
Our products and services make it safe and easy for people and businesses to store, buy, use and learn about cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum. Our vision is to upgrade the world to a better financial system.
To achieve this mission, we need the help of an experienced Head of People. You’ll work closely with the CEO - as a strategic partner - to support his vision of building one of the best teams in the world. That means not just attracting, but also retaining, rewarding and developing some of the most talented minds in fintech.
We’ve more than trebled in size in the last 12 months from 57 people to 200, and we plan to #add another 150-200 people to the team in 2019. With that scale comes the real challenges:
- How do we span cultures and timezones without diluting what makes our people special - the values we call our Moontality?
- How do we build an employer brand that captures and conveys what it feels like to be a part of Luno?
- How do we equip our managers to support geographically distributed teams and grow the next generation of leaders?
- How do we build great careers paths for all Lunauts with good visibility on opportunities and requirements?
- How do we establish psychological safety so our employees feel comfortable to keep challenging the status quo?
- How do we design a global reward and compensation framework with is fair across very different markets?
- How do we make sure that every employee can confidently interview and act as an ambassador for Luno?
- How do we maintain compliance with ever-changing labour law requirements in all our locations?
- How do we make sure that none of our people processes will break when we reach 500 employees?
You’ll be responsible for helping us solve some of these problems, and steering us through any other people-related opportunities that might come up.
You have a deep understanding of what makes teams work well, and will be able to offer a pragmatic plan for how to improve our culture. You’ll have an acute understanding of the team’s needs (and familiarity with employment law in at least one of our markets). You’ll help us align around our Moontality values, translating them into everyday practices.
You’ll be supported by a team of four recruiters and five people partners spread across our offices in London, Cape Town, Johannesburg, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Nigeria but they will look to you for coaching and guidance. You will have the support and resources to invest in building a world class People team and for the broader organisation’s training and development.
You’re likely to be successful in this role if:
- You have a strategic mindset and can plan for the future, but at the same time dig into to details and get your hands dirty when needed
- You’ve previously scaled a company from 150 to 500 people, or somewhere inbetween, ideally in the tech sector
- You’ve got broad experience or knowledge of Recruitment, People Operations, Compensation, Performance Management, Employee and Manager Development including staff levelling, and Organisational structuring
- You have a strong working knowledge of UK employment law and immigration
- You’ve managed and developed teams before, extra points if they were globally dispersed
- Your knowledge of employer brand building extends beyond using social media and careers fairs
- You’re passionate about leading teams and good at driving automation across your teams and the broader business