Kaia is a mission focused medical technology company:
In 2016 we set out with the mission to make effective, evidence-based therapies available to patients who suffer from chronic diseases. As back pain is the number one cause of disability worldwide with over 1 billion affected people, we built our first product, a clinically-proven mind-body therapy app, to help people with back pain.
At Kaia, we take proven offline therapy techniques and transform them into app-based therapies. However, in this process, some important aspects of these therapies can be lost. Our focus at Kaia Health AI Lab is to bring back those aspects by leveraging machine intelligence. For example, our “Motion Coaching” technology allows users to get real-time feedback on how well they do their exercises. Motion Coach utilizes only the smartphone’s built-in camera and neural networks, and requires no additional hardware. Our app is the only one worldwide that can tell users if they are doing their exercises correctly. See trailer
In the future, the AI Lab will also work on advancing our therapy personalization engine, as well as developing digital biomarkers for therapeutic purposes for our late-stage pipeline covering COPD, osteoarthritis, and Parkinson’s disease.
The role encompasses:
- Take over the development of our Motion Coaching library
- Contribute to apps that utilize this library, such as the “Kaia Personal Trainer”, “Kaia Back Pain Relief”, and “Kaia COPD Therapy”.
- Develop prototype apps for our digital biomarker technology
- Work closely with our Core Machine Learning team
The Motion Coaching Library:
This Swift library provides the functionality of tracking user’s posture, counting user’s exercise repetitions and providing real-time audio feedback on a user’s exercise form. It is powered by multiple vision-based CoreML models and is already included in apps with over 100k users.
In the next few months, we will primarily iterate on user experience as well as on posture detection quality and performance.
- You are a strong coder with deep technical knowledge of iOS mobile application development using Swift
- Strong software architecture skills and ability to base engineering decisions on product vision
- Strong knowledge of data structures, design patterns, and software engineering best practices
- Experience in rapid prototyping, an eye for design, and a natural empathy for the user
- Strong engineering background, preferably with academic training in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent practical experience
Ideally you also have:
- Thorough understanding of machine learning concepts or first practical experience
- Experience with CoreML, Accelerate, Metal Performance Shaders
You'll fit in with our company culture if you:
- are user centric and view technology as a tool to improve a user’s life
- have a bias for action; the world is complex and unpredictable place so starting, releasing, and getting feedback iteratively is the only possible path to success
- strive to be articulate and humble, make the complex, simple, present ideas openly, accepting that being wrong is part of the process
- are not afraid of tackling problems that others deem impossible
- thrive in an entrepreneurial team, adapt easily to change, and enjoy a fast-paced environment
Some of the benefits we offer:
- Directly shape the future of digital health
- Work with serial entrepreneurs
- Flat hierarchies, flexible vacation and working times
- Mario Kart in the office :-)