Since GoCardless was set up in 2011, we have been focused on taking the pain out of getting paid so that our customers can focus on what they do best. We already process over £7bn each year for thousands of businesses, and we are growing fast.
We work with a huge range of organisations: small gyms and scout groups use us to reduce admin; fast-growing companies like Funding Circle use us to power their growth; established companies like TripAdvisor use us to dramatically reduce failure rates.
We’ve been spending the last year expanding our offering outside of UK and Europe and are now operating 7 different payment schemes (and will be adding the US early next year) and serving merchants in over 30 countries, with offices in Melbourne, Paris, Munich and of course, London (our HQ).
We’re backed by some of the world’s leading investors including Balderton Capital, Accel Partners, Notion Capital, Passion Capital and Y Combinator.
About the Team
The underwriting function is at the forefront of GoCardless’ expansion and scaling - both domestically and abroad. We enable the business to move into new markets and geographies when optimising the trade-off between revenue and credit exposure and delivering positive customer outcomes. This is all whilst ensuring that deals get done at scale and within our risk appetite.
About the Role
Your responsibilities will be to
- Develop underwriting standards that will mitigate risk while enabling revenue growth and by driving profitability opportunities
- Work with product team to build data-driven models to make effective and consistent credit risk decisions
- Ensure underwriting standards are met by developing team members through monitoring, ongoing feedback and training
- Manage the risk of the portfolio by reviewing portfolio performance, taking necessary measures and escalating when necessary
- Build, develop and lead an underwriting team that is resourced appropriately and upskilled continuously
- Develop internal and external relationships, represent GoCardless in relevant forums to influence the company or industry-wide decisions and developments
- Drive efficiency gains with a data-driven approach through process improvements and automation
What we're looking for
- You have proven skills and track record in credit risk management, preferably with a significant e-commerce component.
- Data production and manipulation is the base for everything you do - you are an expert in Excel and in SQL
- You have developed automated credit risk decision-making models and loss forecasting in business lending - with proven benefits.
- You have a proven record of improving internal processes, demonstrated by cost reduction and better customer experience
- You are easily dissatisfied with how things are run - you frequently feel the urge to act when someone tells you “this is how we’ve always done it”
- You have a tremendous sense of urgency tempered by the ability to keep calm under pressure
- You have high energy, are a self-starter with strong leadership skills