At Thread, we've set out to rethink the shopping experience from the ground up, helping people feel happier and more self-confident in the process. Using a combination of expert stylists and machine learning algorithms, we bring people a small, highly personalised selection of the perfect clothes just for them—in their size, budget and taste. By doing so we simplify the shopping process, help people to feel more comfortable in their own skin, and allow them go out into the world with a spring in their step. It also removes the need to spend Saturday afternoons frustrated by busy high street stores, or spend ages browsing the overwhelming number of options available online.
After initially taking part in Y Combinator, we've raised £25M in financing from some of the world's top investors, including Balderton, Beringea, H&M, the co-founders of DeepMind, the former CEO of Net-a-Porter, the former Design Director of IDEO, the founder of Lovefilm, and many others. We're up to 1 million customers and growing quickly. Our long-term goal is to grow that to 100 million people worldwide.
We are looking for a smart, dependable Financial Controller to partner with our FD in building out a world-class finance function. As our first Financial Controller you'll take full responsibility for all accounting, annual and monthly reporting, and controls whilst gaining exposure to all aspects of finance and the wider business from day one.
As our Financial Controller, you'll take the lead on implementing company accounting policies, ensuring we have accurate reporting, and are balancing the right levels of financial control alongside business practicality. With your meticulous eye for detail and strong technical accounting skills, you'll be our first port of call when it comes to answering questions about our accounts from colleagues, investors and the board. You'll thrive in a fast-paced environment, be comfortable rolling your sleeves up as we remain lean, and get a kick out of leveraging data and technology to build and implement efficient tools and processes that help the team and company scale. Beyond this, as only the second permanent member of our finance team, you'll partner with our FD in shaping the future direction of the finance function from the ground-up by hiring world-class talent, lead on team culture and be a key collaborator with other teams across the business.
This is a unique opportunity to enter a business at an early stage in its journey, and play a crucial role in shaping the future direction of the finance function from the ground-up.
This role will be based in our Aldgate headquarters.
- Preparing the monthly management accounts and working with auditors and accountants to prepare and sign off the statutory accounts
- Advising on and implementing the company accounting policies and procedures, and ensuring that we always have in place the appropriate level of financial control
- Closing the month-end quickly, and accurately reporting variances with insightful commentary.
- Understanding the accounts well enough to be able to answer detailed questions from colleagues, the board and our investors
- Partnering with the FD in all aspects of managing the finance function, including budgeting, FP&A, hiring, setting and leading on team culture
- Owning core finance tasks and processes such as our pension scheme, insurance, Companies House submissions, EIS and EMI submissions
- Helping with data requests and due diligence processes with investors
- Optimising R&D tax credits and any other similar opportunities
- Responsibility for tax and other regulatory compliance and submissions
- Being a key person in project managing and advising on systems and process in the finance team and the wider business
Are you the one? You are if you:
- Are a qualified accountant (preferably ACA), with 2 years in audit or similar practice and at least 3 years in a business, preferably in retail or e-commerce
- Have held responsibility for month-end process, reporting and annual audits, internal audit and controls in a retail business, preferably within e-commerce
- Have experience of choosing, implementing and setting up a new accounting/ERP system (nice to have)
- Are passionate about leveraging technology and data to drive decision making, process improvements and building new tools for the finance team
- Are thorough and highly dependable, taking pride in delivering accurate work in a timely manner
- Have experience partnering with an FD or other management within finance and other business functions
- Are a strong and attentive people manager who is passionate about coaching, mentoring and developing your direct reports, as well as leading outsourced functions and collaborating with other teams across the business
- The chance to build a team and build up the accounting function and monthly management reporting from scratch
- The opportunity to become recognised as one of the best in your field through being a core operator for a high-profile startup
- The chance to solve hard problems in a fast growing business, providing an unrivalled opportunity to develop your skill set
- Be part of a values-led team that are working hard to create one of the highest quality cultures in the world. Learn more about how we're doing this in our culture deck
- Relaxed, sociable work environment with lots of responsibility and autonomy
- Free team lunches four times a week, drinks and snacks together as a company on Fridays, free weekly yoga class, regular company trips to fun things like comedy shows, choose your own work equipment, unlimited vacation time
- A competitive salary and a generous equity stake in the company (you're working hard to make the company successful, so we believe you should share generously in the reward!)