Welcome to Depop. We are the social marketplace where over 12M people come to buy, sell and discover unique items. Our mission is to empower creative minds by making our platform the place for the most vibrant communities in the world.
With headquarters in London, spaces in Manchester, LA and New York, we have a team of more than 100 people dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience for our global communities. And we’re just getting started.
Right now, we’re on the hunt for an Android Engineer to join us in our Manchester office who's eager to produce the most evocative buying and selling experience possible.
Want to find out more about Depop & our engineering team? Take a look at our blog!
We write about technology, people and smart engineering - https://engineering.depop.com/
- Design and implement new user-facing features in the Depop app
- Work closely with the design, product management and backend teams to ensure that new features are implemented efficiently and effectively.
- Write unit tests and instrumentation tests and integrate them into our CI environment to ensure the quality of code going forward.
- Refactor existing code to leverage the latest developments in the Android framework.
- Optimise the performance of the app to ensure that we have a minimum memory, CPU and data footprint.
- Educate the Depop family on the engineering challenges faced when supporting a wide range of devices with varying screen sizes, orientations and densities.
- Maintain a healthy curiosity towards other Android apps and champion ideas on what we can do to make the Depop Android app better.
- Ensure that our localisation efforts support introduction to new countries.
- Help make our app support tablets and orientation changes properly in the future.
- Integration of new SDKs when required within the app.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- 2+ years of Android and Java programming with the responsibility for shipping at least one well regarded Android application.
- Technical knowledge of mobile application development in Android with experience producing apps that feature a fast, consistent and non-blocking user experience.
- Solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and multi-threading.
- Experience in consuming a RESTful API.
- Heavy utilisation of the Android support and design libraries.
- Understanding of the different components with the Google Play services libraries.
- Experience with Android modules.
- Working knowledge of Kotlin.
- Understanding of Retrofit 2 for ease of integration with Http requests.
- Continuous Integration and automated testing preferably using Espresso and JUnit.
- Understanding of the Android Architecture components, Room.
- Knowledge of image downloading and caching libraries such as Picasso or Glide.
- Understanding of ProGuard and Gradle to ensure that our build tools deliver the correct result.
Our Manchester team are based in the Spinningfields WeWork. We have 25 days holiday with options to buy/sell more, UK pension scheme, healthy snacks in the kitchen, finish early Fridays, team nights out, trips down to London for team nights out. But the biggest perk of all is the opportunity to work with such a vibrant group of people building a product we all deeply care about.