We are looking for a Data Scientist to join our Data team in Cape Town.
What we do:
We make it safe and easy to buy, store and learn about cryptocurrencies, like Bitcoin and Ethereum, offering three core products:
- Luno Wallet: Cryptocurrency conversion, storage, and consumer payments
- Luno Exchange: Professional cryptocurrency trading platform
- Luno Enterprise: Open API’s, institutional investors, merchant integration
- You’ll be part of a team of skilled and passionate people on a serious mission to upgrade the world to a better financial system!
- We are series B funded, raised over $13m in funding since launch, and backed by the Naspers Group, Digital Currency Group, Venturra Capital, Balderton Capital, and Rand Merchant Investment Holdings.
- Our customer base spans 40 countries and is currently spread across three continents - Europe, Southeast Asia, and Africa.
- Committed to workplace diversity, we now have over 250 employees with 26 different nationalities, 40% of whom are female, with offices in London, Singapore, Cape Town, Kuala Lumpur, Lagos, and Jakarta.
The role in a nutshell:
Identifying opportunities in the business that could benefit most from cognitive applications, as well as building and enhancing organizational capabilities for deriving value from multiple data sources using data science.
What you need:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in the natural sciences or technical fields such as Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or Economics.
- At least 2 years experience in a similar role.
- Enthusiasm to work in the cryptocurrencies space.
- Advanced SQL skills.
- Solid understanding of exploratory data analysis, predictive analytics, and optimization using Python, R, Matlab, RapidMiner, KNIME or other data science-oriented platforms.
- Proficiency in the use of data science and machine learning domain-specific languages such as “Caret” and the “Tidyverse” suite of tools in R, or “Pandas” and “Sklearn” in Python.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to explain data and statistical concepts to non-experts in a clear, and structured manner.
- Ability to work independently, as well as within and across teams.
- Ability to successfully complete projects with large and/or incomplete data sets.
More in-depth info of what you’ll do:
- Provide business with reports and dashboards on key performance metrics.
- Engage with different teams to understand their specific requirements.
- Formulate business requirements into analytical objectives.
- Design and run experiments to test hypotheses.
- Hack through problems using advanced data analysis to provide insights and recommendations to business.
- Apply advanced statistical and predictive modeling techniques to build, maintain, and optimize decisioning systems.
- Build, deploy and monitor machine learning models in production.
What will set you apart:
- An advanced degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science or related field.
- At least 3 years experience working in a similar role.
- Experience working with business intelligence platform such as Tableau, Cognos, QlikView, or Looker.
- Solid knowledge of statistical and machine learning techniques.
- Familiarity with modern distributed data storage and processing systems such as Amazon Redshift, Hadoop MapReduce and Apache Spark.
- Ability to gather and synthesize facts, theories, trends, patterns, inferences, and key issues in complex and variable situations.
- Ability to diagnose problems using formal problem-solving tools and techniques from multiple angles to generate multiple possible solutions.
- Ability to identify and act upon opportunities for continuous improvement.
- A sense of anticipating long-term problem areas and associated risk levels with objective rationale.
- Experience leading teams.