Pusher’s realtime APIs power applications around the world. When you see an app sending push notifications, using a chat feature, a collaborative text editor, or anything else that updates instantly, it could be us shifting events behind the scenes.
Great applications require great libraries. Our customers expect world-class SDKs when they develop core features of their apps. We want you to help us build them: iOS SDKs that have the best developer experience our customers have ever seen. You’ll be a coder, a bar-raiser and a teacher all in one.
This role is not for your average app developer. You’ll have the chance to influence the development of not just one app, but apps built by tens of thousands of developers globally. You’ll be helping us to turn that into hundreds of thousands. And you’ll build your profile amongst the world’s most discerning app developers.
What will you do?
Chatkit, our chat-as-a-service product, allows developers to add chat functionality quickly to their web and native mobile apps.
- Contribute to the full Chatkit feature development lifecycle, from prototyping onwards.
- Identify elements of our iOS SDKs that need improvement.
- Design and implement a clean and consistent approach to the SDK, following industry-standard best mobile practices.
- Design and implement proof-of-concept open source demo applications.
- Be part of the on-call rotation. Follow through incidents with suggestions for how to prevent future system outages, or implement self-healing systems
- Help customers successfully integrate our APIs into their apps.
- Help shape the future technical strategy of the product.
- Determine how to track and implement metrics of quality and drive improvements to our release process.
- Mentor more junior members of the team.
- Share your iOS and mobile knowledge around the team, in engineering, and throughout the business.
- Participate in recruitment planning and interviewing.
What will you learn?
Great software engineers never stop learning. We want to provide you opportunities for improving your knowledge.
- You will manage and tame a complex networked service in order to provide a simple, powerful and delightful developer experience.
- You will have a chance to learn from experienced engineers working on scalable distributed systems and SDK development.
- You will help take Pusher’s flagship new product through a period of significant growth, encountering many engineering challenges along the way.
What working in the Chatkit team looks like
- The Chatkit team is cross-functional and uses a modern tech stack. Our services are written in Go and deployed on Kubernetes. While your primary function will be within the mobile SDKs, you will have the opportunity to learn about other systems that are core to Chatkit.
- The Chatkit team subscribes to the lean methodology. We work in short iterations with as little bureaucracy as possible. We value continuous improvement and expect team members to voice their concerns early and often so that we may address things before they become problems.
- The Chatkit team breaks down silos through collaborating, information sharing, and pairing. We rotate ownership of interesting problems like benchmarking, and encourage pairing on new proposals and SDKs.
What Pusher is like
We are here to help our customers build delightful applications. By solving significant engineering challenges and packaging them into easy to use APIs, we let developers focus on making their users happy.
We put emphasis on collaboration between people and teams. Everyone is on the same mission, so sharing work helps us reach our goals faster. Throwing problems over the wall and pointing fingers at each other is not our style.
We strive for transparency. Keeping everyone well-informed is crucial for building trust, efficiency and satisfaction at work.
What have you done?
- You’ve written complex iOS applications that have addressed the technical difficulties and quirks of iOS, Objective-C, and Swift.
- You’ve written, maintained, or contributed to quality open-source Objective-C or Swift libraries.
- You’ve developed networked mobile SDKs with user experience top-of-mind. Ideally, the SDKs supported a multi-tenant use case.
What are you like?
- You optimise your work for conceptual simplicity over brevity
- You’re highly aware of current iOS development practices and the wider mobile development ecosystem.
- You love making other developers’ lives easier, listening to people, and asking questions.
We strongly believe in the importance of diversity and inclusion. They not only provide a better working environment but also improve the quality of our services. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.