Welcome to Depop. We are the social marketplace where over 12M people come to buy, sell and discover unique items. Our mission is to empower creative minds by making our platform the place for the most vibrant communities in the world.
With headquarters in London, spaces in LA and New York, we have a team of more than 100 people dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience for our global communities. And we’re just getting started.
We’re looking for a Data Scientist to join our Data team here at Depop to work on a number of projects to help Depop enhance our users’ experience. Your role will be to contribute to the delivery of machine learning projects inside the data science team and/or product teams.
We’re currently helping build one of the most dynamic and well-funded startups in the London tech scene. Sound like your thing?
- Researching, developing and deploying machine learning algorithms to create capabilities such as personalisation, image recognition tasks, NLP tasks and more.
- Help gather the requirements from the relevant stakeholder, design a solution, develop a proof of concepts/prototype, before scaling the solution to work with our 12 million users and deploy it to production.
- Participate in the team activities (agile ceremonies, journal club, engineering whiteboard sessions etc)
- Masters degree or Ph.D. in computer science, maths, statistics, economics or related disciplines
- 2 years + experience as a Data Scientist
- Experience in at least one of the following: computer vision, recommender system, search algorithms
- Proven ability to design machine learning solutions to solve business problems
- Ability to communicate complex problems to technical and non-technical audiences, including a willingness to present at external functions (meetups, lunch and learn, conferences…)
- Ability to research machine learning techniques and develop prototype services
- Passion for learning new skills and staying up-to-date with ML algorithms
- Be a team player in our collaborative environment
- Strong knowledge of Python, in particular packages like pandas, scikit learn, numpy, scipy
- Proficiency in writing SQL queries
- Experience with Spark (pyspark or scala spark)
- Experience deploying ML models to production
- Experience with Deep learning framework like Tensorflow/Keras/MXNet
- Experience working with Amazon Web Services (for example, Athena, S3, lambda, Sagemaker)
- Experience and/or interest in e-commerce or fashion industry
- Experience working in an agile environment
We want to give our engineers the opportunity to learn and grow at Depop. So if you're keen to gain experience in another language or new area of engineering we can make it happen as part of your career journey with us.
We have 25 days holiday with options to buy/sell more, UK pension scheme, healthy snacks in the kitchen, finish early Fridays, discounted gym membership, team nights out, yoga, meditation and more. But the biggest perk of all is the opportunity to work with such a vibrant group of people building a product we all deeply care about.