What’s the role all about?
Cleo's an AI assistant that helps over 1,000,000 people in the UK, US and Canada feel better about their money. She is a fun and engaging personality that talks to you like a real person to help; track spending, set budgeting goals, auto saving money, helping avoid overdraft charges and a whole lot more. We are a fast-growing start-up, backed by Balderton Capital and the founders of Skype, Transferwise and Zoopla
Watch this to dive a little deeper
As Cleo grows internationally, and offers customers increased access to financial products through our platform, we need to build a finance function that can provide clear insight and strategic challenge. We are looking for an FD to lead this function who can partner with our exec team, providing the forecasts and data that underpin critical decisions. This role has huge room for progression, accountability and ownership
In the past year we’ve scaled the team from 6 to 35, launched in North America, closed a $10m Series A led by Balderton Capital, and scaled to over 1,000,000 users. We’re building a world-leading team as we grow, driving us toward 10 million users over the coming 12 months
We’re looking for someone that has the ability to dive into a variety of different problems in many markets and situations and come up with tactical recommendations that will have big impact, quickly. You're someone that can identify and focus on the most important problems, while keeping the machine running and not getting lost in detail. You’re about action and getting things done now rather than the longer term - think business impact in the next few months vs 5 year strategy
Some of the things you’ll get involved with:
- Be responsible for the development and ongoing optimisation of our financial forecasting across both our UK and international business; drive financial planning by analysing performance and risks
- Build the key scalable finance processes and controls that will support the business as we scale
- Negotiate with and lead our international suppliers to optimise our costs
- Prepare consolidated monthly management accounts with analysis for inclusion in your monthly board pack
- Act as the primary go-to person for month, quarter and year-end financial activities
- Lead the accounting department to streamline vendor payment processes and improve the financial health of the company
- Liaise with the external firms such as Auditors, HMRC & Tax partners on year-end statutory accounts, taxation, payroll and our strategy across these areas
- Take over responsibilities from our current part-time FD - both in scope of role and managing our in-house bookkeeper day-to-day
What are we looking for?
- Relevant professional qualification, ACA or similar
- Minimum of 6 years post-qualified experience in financial accounting, consolidations and reporting experience within a corporate
- Ability to drive key accounting cycles process and management experience alongside evidence of implementing business and process change
- Experience working with a high-growth company, including design and setting up of enterprise financial reporting and payment systems
- Self-starter who's happy to take on responsibilities, takes pride in their work, able to work in a fast-paced environment (with ever-changing goals)
- Proficient user of Microsoft Excel
- Hands on experience of preparing company accounts
- Team orientated; enjoys working with colleagues at all levels of the organisation
- Approachable and able to coach and assist colleagues with all things accounting
- Numerate and articulate in handling statistics and interpreting information for communication to all levels within the business
- Flexible, well-organised with lots of initiative, energy and personal motivation
- Results oriented and tenacious in resolving issues and achieving objectives
How long will all this take?
We aim to move as fast as possible, usually 2 weeks is enough time for us all to get to know each other.
- Quick phone call with a member of our team to find out more about your experience and why you want to work at Cleo
- Onsite interview:
- Discuss your experience with the team
- Meet leadership
What do get for all your hard work?
Cleo is an excellent place to work:
- An above market compensation package (Base + Equity). We're prepared to pay for the very best
- Work at one of the fastest growing tech startups anywhere in the world. We recently closed a really successful Series A with Balderton who join a formidable investor base including the people behind Skype, Transferwise, Zoopla, Lovefilm, Climate corporation, SongKick and others
- The team is exceptional. You'll get to work with brilliantly forward-thinking and dedicated individuals every day
- Our mission is standout. We want to radically improve everyone’s relationship with money. We're not maximising the time consumers spend in a feed, getting fast food delivered, or building an incrementally better bank. We're changing an industry in a visceral way, which you get to see every day in our customer feedback