Grow our banking and scheme relationships
Since GoCardless was set up in 2011, we have focused on taking the pain out of getting paid so that our customers can focus on what they do best. We already process over £10bn each year for tens of thousands of businesses, and we are growing fast.
We work with a huge range of organisations: small gyms and scout groups use us to reduce admin; fast growing companies like Funding Circle use us to power their growth; established companies like TripAdvisor use us to dramatically reduce failure rates.
We’ve been spending the last year expanding our offering outside of UK and Europe and are now operating 7 different payment schemes (and will be adding the US soon) and serving merchants in over 30 countries, with offices in Melbourne, Paris, Munich and of course, London (our HQ).
We’re backed by some of the world’s leading investors including GV, Adam Street Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Balderton Capital, Accel Partners, Notion Capital and Passion Capital.
About the team
Banking & Scheme Relationship is newly established team within Banking Operations. With our rapid, international expansions and growing number of banking partners and payment schemes, we are creating a team of excellent relationship builders who have a deep payment scheme knowledge. The Banking & Scheme Relationship team’s role can be broadly split into two categories:
- Managing our banking partnerships: We rely on banks to process our payments and have banking partners all over the world. The team manages the day to day contact with these banks and is responsible for owning and building the relationship.
- Managing our scheme relationships: We are the internal subject matter experts and ‘go to’ for anything payment scheme related. The team engage directly with the schemes as the GoCardless representative and participate in industry events. They keep fully up to date with changes to scheme rules or infrastructure and ensure that GoCardless’ interests are represented. Finally, the team work closely with our Product Managers and Engineers to ensure that changes to the schemes are reflected in our products.
Both areas are deeply interlinked and getting these right is crucial for our success in a particular market.
Reporting into the Director of Banking Operations we are looking for a new team member who will own either Bacs or SEPA, our two largest payment schemes. You will also be responsible for some of our other, newer schemes (North America, Australia, New Zealand, Scandinavia), providing an exciting opportunity to expand your payments knowledge and network.
- Owning and growing the relationship with our banking partners, being their primary day to day contact
- Managing projects that integrate new products and services from banks or schemes into GoCardless
- Working closely with Product, Sales, Operations and Engineering to ensure issues involving our banking partners/schemes are addressed and roadblocks removed
- Negotiating pricing with the banks, ensuring our banking cost structure is optimised and monthly costs and volumes are reconciled
- Proactively thinking ahead to mitigate compliance risks, and ensuring all compliance requests from banks are responded to in an accurate and timely manner
- Keeping up to date with changes to the payment scheme, the industry, the regulatory environment and banking policies and understanding how these will impact us
- Ensuring that scheme changes are communicated internally that internal/external documentation is accurate and up to date
- Ensuring that GoCardless is using the right banking products that fit both our current and also future needs as we continue to grow and scale
What we're looking for
- You can demonstrate deep knowledge of either Bacs or SEPA - you understand the scheme rules, basic technical aspects (access models, file formats etc) and can translate scheme requirements into GoCardless language
- You understand the payments sector, the various players throughout the Bacs or SEPA payments value chain and preferably have a strong network across these
- A proven track record of substantial experience in managing a portfolio of partnership/corporate relationships
- A real solution finder. You’re great at removing roadblocks and identifying new ways of doing things and don’t get discouraged when banks and schemes are moving slowly
- You ideally have experience with technical integrations and reporting
- You can navigate cultural differences and have excellent networking and people skills
- You have very strong negotiation and influencing skills
- You know how to communicate across various levels, senior as well as junior externally as well as internally. Your communication is structured and crisp
- A good understanding of risk and compliance within the banking sector and what the risk/opportunities this area includes