Hiya is revolutionizing the way people make and receive phone calls. We are one of the fastest growing mobile startups in the world. The phone dialer app has remained unchanged since smartphones launched over a decade ago. Hiya is changing this by working with mobile phone makers (like Samsung) and mobile carriers (like AT&T) to bring this innovation to more than 70 million monthly users in 196 countries. With offices in Seattle, London, and Budapest we have the backing from top investors in the US and Europe, and an exceptionally diverse and skilled team. We have strong company values and culture and would love to share why ours is an opportunity worth considering. We appreciate and respect diversity, and are an equal opportunity employer.
We are looking for a Back-end Engineer to work in our Budapest office, who thrives on designing, coding and maintaining high performance data processing applications on the JVM platform (primarily Scala). Our ideal candidate would have the skills and desire to understand our entire data stack, from DynamoDB to Kafka to Scala/Akka and the passion to champion new and exciting technologies to solve unique and challenging problems.
Your ideal job should be one where you work in a small team and are empowered to make yourself and your team more productive on a daily basis. You should want to be part of a team where your desire to grow and learn are valued and aptly rewarded; where using and contributing to open source are looked upon as an asset; where innovating and executing are core to your teams' beliefs.
What we expect from you:
- A passion for building scalable web services;
- Proven experience building highly scalable and available production web services starting from the data storage layer;
- A desire to own design and architecture end to end;
- A philosophy of iteration and continuous improvement;
- BSCS + 2 years of experience or M.S. in Computer Science; or relevant experience
- Excellent communication and self-organization skills incl. working within and with other remote teams.
- Experience with functional programming in a typed setting; especially Scala
- Familiar with data storage, processing systems and web service APIs;
- Have experience with both SQL and NoSQL databases;
- Deeply versed in internet protocols and standards;
- Knowledge of cloud computing;
- Knowledgeable of scaling techniques (caching, message queues, eventual consistency, etc.);
- Experience with *nix.
Extra points if you:
- Fluent in Scala;
- Have experience with stream processing solutions;
- Have at least 2 years' experience programming in a commercial setting;
- Have implemented service(s) with ML techniques;
- Have deployed services to the cloud (especially AWS);
- Have deployed docker based services;
What you should expect from us:
- Work at a supportive and fast-growing startup with a fantastic team.
- Make an impact in the lives of tens of millions of consumers.
- Many office perks and great company benefits.
- Collaborate and learn from other great team members.
- Support in developing your skills and accelerating your career