We're looking for a talented Data Analyst to help us build a world-class marketing function founded on data-driven tools & analytical understanding, and to drive Thread's growth to become the major platform enabling men to dress well.
At Thread, we're helping people to feel happier and more self-confident by making it easy to dress well. We do this using a combination of human stylists and powerful machine learning algorithms to recommend each guy the perfect things just for them—in their size, budget, and style—which they can then buy in one place. Most guys want to look good but don't particularly enjoy shopping, so we believe if we get this right we can create the new default for how hundreds of millions of people across the world buy their clothes.
As part of our unique personalised proposition, Thread is growing to become a mass-market menswear retailer in the UK, with ambitious plans for international expansion. Today, Thread's growth is only constrained by its addressable market (men looking to dress well!), and the efficiency and effectiveness of it's Marketing function. To succeed, we need to achieve mastery of the expanding universe of data used by Marketing to understand the past and forecast the future.
Thread's Marketing function is already rooted in strong data-driven methodology and statistical analysis, but we are now looking for a dedicated Data Analyst to work with Marketing full-time, to drive our growth and marketing performance forward. This person will also be a full member of our wider Data Science function, thereby benefiting from and contributing to our extensive existing data expertise and tooling, such as our central data-warehouse built with Google BigQuery.
As this will be our first dedicated growth Data Analyst role, we're looking for an entrepreneurial analyst, who can take a lead and develop this area of the business into a growth powerhouse! We're looking to you to help us build marketing data tools, investigate new efficient opportunities for growth, and work with other members of the team to understand how rigorous data analysis can help accelerate Thread's marketing efforts. There are existing challenges like attribution, forecasting, understanding the unit-economics of marketing channels, as well as more exploratory areas like creative performance, and combining service data with customer-reported data.
The role will be based in our Aldgate headquarters, report to Ed Snelson (Head of Data Science), be part of the Data Science "guild", and will work day-to-day as part of the Marketing Team with Tim Grimsditch (CMO).
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Lead the Data Analysis practice in Growth & Marketing
Use data analysis to help Marketing achieve significant growth, whilst optimising our customer acquisition for Thread's unit economics. This means achieving a statistical understanding of channel and campaign performance and how they relate to Thread's business goals.
- Develop Marketing data tools
Build on Marketing's foundational data tools, models and methodologies, harnessing data from Thread, marketing channels and beyond. This means automating parts of Thread's marketing workflows based around robust statistical methodologies.
- Investigate new growth opportunities
Discover new opportunities for growth, by exploring poorly understood parts of marketing mix, consumer behaviour, economics and more.
Are you the one? You are, if you:
- Love to use data to get answers or understanding about tricky business questions
- Are excited about making a big personal impact to Thread's business
- Are a thorough, inquisitive and self-guided data analyst, with a solid grasp of statistics and estimating uncertainty
- Have enough basic technical skills to be largely self-sufficient: you know your way round a python notebook, a marketing channel API, fluent in SQL, spreadsheets etc.
- Are excited about automating your findings and expertise, to magnify your impact for the team
- Make good trade-offs between thoroughness and speed to keep us moving forward
- Have experience working closely and communicating well with a less-technical team
- Have some marketing experience, or are excited to pick it up quickly
- Have some understanding of the dynamics of acquiring and retaining customers
- Are a strong communicator, and are equally effective face-to-face or when presenting results in documents for the team and business
- The chance to solve hard problems in a fast growing business, providing an unrivalled opportunity to develop your skill set. You will get to learn from some of London's best Data Scientists and Analysts, including Ed Snelson (ex Microsoft Research) and world-class marketers including Tim Grimsditch (ex Kano, Spotify)
- The opportunity to become recognised as one of the best in your field through being a core operator for a high-profile startup
- Be part of a values-led team that are working hard to create one of the highest quality cultures in the world. Learn more about how we're doing this in our culture deck
- Gain first-hand experience of how to start, grow, market and raise funding for startups (perhaps useful for your own company one day)
- Free team lunches four times a week, drinks and snacks together as a company on Fridays, monthly company trips to fun things like comedy shows, choose your own work equipment, unlimited vacation time
- A competitive salary and a generous equity stake in the company (you're working hard to make the company successful, so we believe you should share generously in the reward!)