Memrise is an award-winning language learning system which combines cognitive science, entertaining content and advanced tech to empower our millions of users with linguistic confidence in just a few months of learning.
We were awarded “Best App of 2017” at Google I/O and featured prominently this year at Apple’s WWDC. We work closely with both Google and Apple and are one of the top go-to developer partners when they launch new features on iOS and Android.
We recently secured Series B funding and have ambitious plans for the future. From growing our user base, to improving our product, there is a lot of work to do to take Memrise to the next level.
To further this, we are looking for Software Engineers to work on our backend.
Our backend runs on AWS using the latest version of Python 3, using Django and the Django REST Framework. We practice Continuous Delivery, love to automate everything, and make heavy use of Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, Redis, Redshift, and Lambda. We’re fans of Domain Driven Design, keeping things as simple as possible, and being open minded about new ideas and new technologies. This is an opportunity to work on a core part of Memrise technology in an area with interesting technical and product problems to solve.
You will be:
- Designing, building and maintaining internal and external features, APIs, and third party integrations.
- Helping to scale our systems as our user base grows (we currently have over 40 million users).
- Working with other teams to improve the overall quality, scalability, and security of our codebase.
You might be a good fit if you have:
- Experience developing scalable, mission critical transactional systems using Python.
- Experience integrating third party APIs.
- Excellent knowledge of modern testing practices.
- The ability to get things done quickly and correctly even in unfamiliar areas.
- Ideally, some experience owning and debugging production systems.
- Thrive in dynamic, collaborative environments, without a lot of process and procedure holding you back. You are an autonomous problem solver.
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’. And we're at least as interested in character as in talent.
- A fully paid Memrise account, of course
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Budget for training, conferences and books
- Flexible working options (time-wise, plus we have standing desks)
- Private health and dental insurance
- Quarterly hackathons
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- 50% off a Gym membership
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: team vacations, painting, meditation, yoga, football, dodgeball, running club, board games, and boxing classes.