Around the world, billions upon billions of mobile phone calls are made every single day, and yet the phone app has remained unchanged since smartphones launched over a decade ago. Hiya is determined to change this by revolutionizing the way people make and receive mobile phone calls. We are working with mobile phone makers (including Samsung) and mobile carriers (including AT&T) to bring this innovation to all of their global subscribers - over 70 million monthly users today, and growing. With offices in Seattle, London, and Budapest, and backing from top investors in the US and Europe, we are an exceptionally diverse and skilled team positioned to change the mobile phone experience forever.
We are looking for a Back-end Engineer to work in our Budapest office, who thrives on designing, coding and maintaining high performance data processing applications on the JVM platform (primarily Scala). Our ideal candidate would have the skills and desire to understand our entire data stack, from DynamoDB to Kafka to Scala/Akka and the passion to champion new and exciting technologies to solve unique and challenging problems.
Your ideal job should be one where you work in a small team and are empowered to make yourself and your team more productive on a daily basis. You should want to be part of a team where your desire to grow and learn are valued and aptly rewarded; where using and contributing to open source are looked upon as an asset; where innovating and executing are core to your teams' beliefs.
What we expect from you:
- Experience with functional programming in a typed setting; especially Scala
- A passion for building scalable systems;
- A desire to own design and architecture end to end;
- A philosophy of iteration and continuous improvement;
- BSCS + 2 years of experience or M.S. in Computer Science; or relevant experience
- Excellent communication and self-organization skills incl. working within and with other remote teams.
- Familiar with data storage-, processing systems and web service APIs;
- Knowledge of cloud computing;
- Experience with *nix.
Extra points if you:
- Have experience in Spring Boot (Java)
- Have experience with stream processing solutions;
- Have at least 5 years' experience programming in a commercial setting;
- Have implemented service(s) with ML techniques;
- Have deployed services to the cloud (especially AWS);
- Have deployed docker based services;
What you should expect from us:
- Work at a supportive and fast-growing startup with a fantastic team.
- Make an impact in the lives of tens of millions of consumers.
- Many office perks and great company benefits.
- Collaborate and learn from other great team members.
- Support in developing your skills and accelerating your career
This position is based in Budapest, working from our fantastic downtown office near the Oktogon area.
Hiya is an equal opportunity employer. We value and embrace diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age or disability status.