Prodigy Finance - who we are
Prodigy Finance is a platform that enables financing for international postgraduate students at the world’s best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended over US$600 million through the platform to fund over 12,000 students from over 150 countries.
Our team of over 190 (and growing) is already truly global. Our head office is in London with much of the team being based in beautiful Cape Town. We also have an office in New York plus team members based across Europe and Asia.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, AlphaCode, Goldman Sachs, M&G, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank.
Why this is an amazing opportunity
This role is perfect for an experienced who wants to supercharge their career by experiencing first-hand what it is like to be part of an energetic, extremely fast growing company.
The sense of impact and reward will be huge. You will help to build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses; make it possible for students from more than 150 countries to obtain the finance to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools.
We are a small non-hierarchical team; this means that you are going to get exposure to all aspects of our business immediately. You’ll gain as much accountability as you can handle and have a huge influence on scaling the company.
Our team is very international and very sociable; you will interact with the broader business on a regular basis. The position will be based in London.
One of our goals is to build one of the top FinTech teams and cultures anywhere in the world. This means putting a lot of time into ensuring we only hire people with exceptional potential and creating the best working environment possible. If you want to work somewhere where you're learning from some of the best brains in FinTech, this would be a good fit.
Why join Prodigy Finance
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company
- Experience the excitement and learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company. No kidding – exponential growth. Happening right now
- Be pivotal in scaling the business by identifying smart solutions and partners with tech at the heart of it
- Enjoy the agility and flexibility offered by a startup culture. A sociable, relaxed and friendly work environment (with a serious coffee culture where you can wear shorts to work)
- We will help you make your mark. Make a real impact on the business and experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow and develop
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed FinTech startup, backed by top VCs, learn day-to-day management and build functional expertise
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world
What you will do in the role
Prodigy is headquartered in London and has been FCA regulated since July 2016. At Prodigy Finance, we are building a world-class financial services company and we pride ourselves on the quality of our risk management function. We are looking for an ERM Manager to help us get to the next stage of development of our risk management practice.
As an ERM Manager, you will assist the Chief Risk Officer in various aspects of Prodigy’s ERM framework including:
- Enterprise risk management: overall maintenance and update of the enterprise risk (level 1/ level 2 risks) register and project manage relevant mitigation plans
- Implement an outsourced internal audit function including RFP process from the big 4 audit firms and some smaller local ones, roll out plan and end to end implementation with appropriate Board oversight
- Second line credit risk monitoring: credit operations QA, credit models testing and credit risk system QA, IFRS9 impairment support, portfolio stressing and benchmarking
- Governance oversight: monitor and evolve governance structure with appropriate roles and responsibilities, committees, terms of reference, etc
- Act as the Board Secretary
- Document management: ensure risk management policies and other relevant documents are kept up to date
What you will be measured on
- This role requires you to be able to learn quickly and be a hands-on team player. The team will look to you to take responsibility for leading in your area and delivering world-class standards
What you need to be great at
- Strong attention to detail; logical, systematic, relentless focus on 100% accuracy and an obsession for error-free, perfectly presented documentation and communication
- Ability to explain complex technical concepts, in concise and simple language
- Being able to think creatively
- Structured, highly organised, able to multi-task and project manage; can correctly prioritise multiple issues
- Being able to remain calm and collected under pressure
- Problem-solving aptitude; ability to make logical conclusions, anticipate obstacles, and consider different approaches to setting up and continuously improving systems and processes
- Ability to work autonomously without micro-management, in a rapidly changing and often ambiguous environment; possess the self-motivation and inner drive to set and deliver against tight deadlines
- Break down tasks and problems into manageable components independently and able to design and execute work plans, in order to deliver on the overall objectives
- Start-up DNA; resilient, gets things done, adaptable to change, huge capacity for hard work in a relentlessly fast paced environment
Who we are looking for; track record must haves
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Actuarial Science or equivalent
- Strong experience in risk management within a financial services environment
- Audit background or proficient with audit framework
- Expert in the 3 lines of defence model
- Hands on operational risk management experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong stakeholder management skills
Experience that would be nice to have (but we’ll trade off if everything else fits)
- Experience working within a lending business
- Operational risk experience within an FCA regulated environment
- Professional Risk Manager (PRM) certification