At carwow, we’re aiming to create the best car-buying experience in the world. Buying a car is normally the 2nd biggest financial decision people face (after buying a house), and it’s a hugely complex one. There are many issues people face throughout the process, and we aim to fix them. We’re a driven, energetic startup with a team of 200+ based in London, Munich and Madrid. We are backed by some of Europe’s leading VCs and have raised over £48m in funding since we launched, so we’re growing fast. We’re constantly asking ourselves how we can make carwow better, so if you’re curious, motivated, and want to help us change the future of car buying, get in touch. It’s the chance to be at the start of something huge.
With full visibility of carwow marketplace data, the Trading team works with across all business areas to optimise short-term performance and ensure long-term marketplace balance and experience for both buyers and sellers.
Reporting to the Trading and Performance Marketing Director, the Head of Trading oversees the carwow marketplace in the UK, managing a team of Trading Managers and Trading Executives to deliver exceptional performance, across over 500 models available on carwow today. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Being the ‘authority’ on the carwow marketplace and performance
- Taking a ‘holistic’ view of the health of carwow UK marketplace and understanding the impact of every available lever to improve long-term marketplace performance
- Understanding carwow UK performance vs target, using this information to create a plan to close gap vs target where required
- Overseeing and planning short-term initiatives (eg sale campaigns) to deliver incremental revenue
- Overseeing deep-dive research specific marketplace challenges, using internal and external data sources to create compelling business cases for changes to carwow product/marketing strategy.
Driving commercial team performance with actionable insights and targets
- Working with UK Commercial leadership team to set ambitious but achievable targets across multiple measures that, when realised, deliver on carwow’s planned path to profitability
- Working with UK MD to create a reporting suite that all commercial team members can use to understand performance vs plan, and to set account / dealer group-specific strategy
- Providing UK commercial team with accurate and actionable brand-specific expertise, for confident and consultative conversations with dealership partners
Ensuring optimum offer distribution across brands and dealerships
- Marketing: working on a daily basis with all marketing functions (including brand, PPC, CRM, content and video teams) to ensure that all marketing efforts are laser-focused on driving lead volumes to the correct makes/models/regions
- Performance marketing: working closely with PPC / display team to maximise enquirer / sales volumes by make and model within defined CPA brackets
- Becoming the go-to expert in the new car quoting algorithm, responsible for analysis and diagnosis of flaws, and recommending a testing and development plan
- Enforcing a set of dealership behaviour rules that punish/reward dealerships with fewer/more offers, to train correct behaviour
Working with other teams
Building strong cross-functional relationships across all business areas is essential in delivering both tactical and long-term strategic work. The Head of Trading will use their influencing and negotiating skills to create powerful working relationships at all levels.
The Head of Trading is currently responsible for the performance and development of a team of Trading Managers and Trading Executives.
The Head of Trading will have the following competencies and attributes:
- Exceptional at analysing and visualising quantitative data
- Takes pleasure in deriving actionable insights from both quantitative and qualitative data sources, and delight in delivering these to internal and external stakeholders.
- Never satisfied with the status quo, and endlessly curious as to how business performance can be improved
- Exceptional communication skills and can build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders up to Exec / board / founder level, who will take action as a result of your insights
- Strong influencer, using their insights and persuasive skills to ensure that trading imperatives are actioned by other business areas alongside their existing workload
- Strong people manager: you will develop and motivate a tight-knit team who need to work efficiently to deliver their expected output
- A ‘do-er’ - alongside people-management, you will be happy to dig into the detail yourself, to support your team, solve complex problems and deliver additional insight
- Relishes being in the ‘engine room’ - works on multiple opportunities in any given day, but can also balance short-term operational goals with longer-term strategy
- Advanced Excel skills e.g. financial modelling/ business intelligence roles level
- Understanding and experience of performance marketing metrics and channels
- SQL skills and/or previous experience using Tableau strongly desirable
- Interest in the automotive sector desirable
- A competitive salary and equity in the company
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays on top
- A generous annual training budget for you to spend on your personal development
- Free access to Sanctus mental-health coaching sessions
- Monthly company-wide socials, Friday drinks, and an annual ski trip
- carwow fitness and well-being groups open to everyone in the office. These include activities such as yoga lessons, squash, football, and tennis
- A dog-friendly office in Victoria, with free refreshments and a variety of breakout spaces (let Mat Watson take you for a spin around our office here)
At carwow, we believe diversity of experience (whether that be personal or professional), contributes to a broader perspective and will lead to a more innovative company. We’re working hard to increase the diversity of our team and be more inclusive, so if you’re not sure you fit all of the requirements, why not get in touch? Above all, we’re looking for people with drive who share our company values (you can view them here).