Around the world, billions upon billions of mobile phone calls are made every single day, and yet the phone app has remained unchanged since smartphones launched over a decade ago. Hiya is determined to revolutionize the way people make and receive mobile phone calls. We are working with mobile phone makers (including Samsung) and mobile carriers (including AT&T) to bring this innovation to all of their global subscribers - over 80 million monthly users today and growing. With offices in Seattle, London, and Budapest, and backing from top investors in the US and Europe, we are an exceptionally diverse and skilled team positioned to change the mobile phone experience forever.
We are looking for an experienced hands-on Engineering Manager based in Seattle to help us architect, implement, and maintain our APIs, as well as grow one of our core engineering teams. This is the team that provides high-availability latency-sensitive APIs to telecoms, mobile apps, and other partners. Oh yes! This is a VERY important position!
You'll be leading a team of four to six engineers in Seattle, a few of which you'll help us hire. You'll also help us (re-)architect this product to better serve the users who send us hundreds of millions of requests per month. In addition, you'll work with other engineering teams at Hiya, some in Seattle and some in Budapest, to define and deliver shared components and services.
What we expect from you:
- Experience in managing a team for 3+ years.
- Experience in building highly distributed system with stringent SLA requirements.
- Enjoys a startup environment of getting things done and pursue higher velocity over perfection
- Collaborative team player with great communication skills.
- Experience in hiring exceptional talent.
- Provides mentorship, coaching, career development, and support to a diverse team of engineers.
- A hands-on coder who leads a team by example.
- Experience in building APIs from scratch.
- Experience with networking, queues, stream processing, caching, etc.
Awesome if you have:
- Experience in mobile development (iOS and Android).
- Experience in externalizing APIs for third-party developers.
- Experience in supporting the developer community and external partners.
- Experience coding in a functional language (extra points for Scala!)
- Experience with Redis, DynamoDB, Data analysis, Kubernetes/Docker
What you should expect from us:
- Work at a supportive and fast-growing startup with a fantastic team.
- Make an impact on the lives of tens of millions of consumers.
- Many office perks and great company benefits.
- Collaborate and learn from other great team members.
- Support in developing your skills and accelerating your career
Hiya is an equal opportunity employer. We value and embrace diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age or disability status.