Drive our growth and shape our future.
We currently process £6 billion worth of transactions for over 40,000 organisations across the UK and Europe - and we’re growing fast. With clients ranging from small businesses to household names such as Thomas Cook, TripAdvisor and the Guardian, GoCardless brings together a range of Direct Debit schemes across the UK and Europe. We’re already well-established in the UK, France, Germany, Sweden and Spain, with more schemes and markets soon to follow. We recently won Xero App Partner of the year for the second time running and enjoy preferred status partnerships with key platform partners like Xero, Salesforce.com and Zuora.
Our vision is to create a global connected payments network, making payments simpler on the internet no matter what country you're in or what software you are using.
We’ve built a friendly, collaborative culture where we hire and develop ambitious people that share our desire to produce work we can be proud of. We value learning and feedback, and there will be significant scope for you to develop and expand your role as our team continues its rapid growth.
We are looking for a Head of Performance Marketing who can drive forward the next phase of our ambitious growth plans through ownership of all of existing paid channels, as well as identify and test new ones. You will define, develop and implement the global GoCardless media strategy with the aim to introduce our brand and our recurring payments platform to a relevant audience and to ultimately drive a stream of quality leads and merchants from small businesses to global enterprises. Your role will be key to support our ambitious global growth plans and to ensure we can scale activity while remaining efficient CPAs.
We are looking for the kind of person who is data driven, inquisitive and eager to test and optimise channels - on the pulse of channels that are scalable, need scaling back or need optimising to get the desired results as well as:
- Test new channels all the time, and know which ones are having the biggest impact
- Deep knowledge of programmatic channels (the usual Facebook, Google Adwords, Twitter, Display, YouTube, as well as the unusual ones which produce surprising results)
- Have built a performance marketing machine before: spanning over tracking, attribution and optimisation
- Have experience in forecasting
- Can lead and do
- Collaborate well across the whole marketing team and across geos.
Your responsibilities will include:
Develop our media strategy
- Define and develop our SMB acquisition strategy for all our strategic Geos (UK, ANZ, FR, DE, ES, US, CA) to drive signups from small businesses
- Define and develop our Mid Market & Enterprise lead gen strategy for all our strategic Geos (UK, ANZ, FR, DE, ES, US, CA) to drive high quality prospects and leads from mid sized to global enterprise businesses for our sales team
- Significantly scale media and channel activities according to our growth targets while maintaining efficient CPAs
- Coordinate the delivery of media campaigns with the performance marketing team, our agency and other internal stakeholders to ensure top level execution of all our campaigns
- Expand our media strategy by testing and onboarding new media partnerships as well as new channels (both online & offline)
- Develop a testing plan to optimise various aspects of our ad campaigns (placements, copy, creative, landing pages) and share learnings with the wider team
- Define relevant success KPIs for different campaigns and channels
Team management & development
- Manage a growing team of media specialists and support them in their day to day tasks and challenges
- Chair weekly media planning meetings and debrief sessions as well as one to ones with your direct reports
- Support a growing teams career progression and learning goals
- Hire new talent into the performance marketing team
- Own the relationship with our digital marketing agency
Performance tracking and reporting
- Use analytics tools including GA, Looker and Bizible (channel attribution) as well as insights from our CRM (SalesForce) to gain a deep understanding for each channel’s performance and leverage those findings to optimise strategy
- Closely monitor performance for all media activities and channels - you will track all relevant conversion events from signup and prospect to opportunity and closed deal to revenue in relation to media spend
- Frequently share performance updates as well as new insights with the wider marketing team
- Work closely with our tech team and the marketing analyst to ensure all media activity is tracked properly at all times
Media budget & spend management
- Own the international media budget for SMBs and Mid Market / Enterprise and work with the team to allocate budget to relevant channels and activities
- Track actual spend and ensure media spend is within budget and reported accurately to the finance team
- Ensure spend is uploaded and represented accurately in our attribution tool (Bizible)
- Help build out forecasts and targets for all our growth engines and business units
Build out a relevant support structure
- Evaluate and develop required ad tech stack to optimise processes, targeting and reporting - some initial projects may include building out business cases for a DMP or other media software
- Evaluate whether potential additional support is required from our agency or contractors either on a project basis or as a permanent external addition to the team
The ideal candidate
- You have built and delivered media strategies for fast growing B2B companies before
- You have experience in developing and delivering fast scaling media strategies
- You demonstrate sound team management skills
- You have experience working closely with sales teams and have had responsibility for KPIs along the marketing & sales funnel
- You have not only been working on lead gen for potentially big sales teams but have also experience in driving more volume based businesses either in a small B2B or a B2C environment
- You have delivered international media strategies across several countries in the past and know what it means to use a “global” approach to media campaigns
- You have hands on experience with all major performance marketing channels including PPC, Paid Social and Display
- Experience with offline media campaigns (e.g. radio, OOH) is a big plus
- You’re extremely analytical, numerate and very familiar with Excel and Google Analytics
- You’re a critical thinker who likes to ask lots of questions
- You have very strong communication skills and experience with managing multiple senior stakeholders
- You have a strong interest in media trends and keep up to date on new developments via different blogs and podcasts
- You are incredibly organised and have impeccable project management skills
- You are not afraid of hands on work in a fast paced environment
We welcome a wide diversity of applicants, and our team are from a variety of backgrounds, so if you’re unsure please apply.