Depop is the fashion marketplace where our users buy, sell and get inspired. With more than 14 million registered users in 147 countries, our mission is to empower the next generation to transform fashion.
The next generation want a different experience of fashion, that the traditional industry is struggling to provide. They want choice and individuality, the ability to buy on demand and sell on with ease. At the same time, they want to reduce waste. They want authenticity and to set their own trends. They are influenced by their peers and people they share values with. Our team of almost 200 people is dedicated to meeting these evolving needs. Our community is everything to us: when they succeed, we succeed.
Depop is headquartered in London, UK, with locations in New York and LA. With over 16M items available for sale and close to 1M unique sellers in the last 12 months we are already a clear market leader in this exciting space. We have a prime position in the UK where we estimate 1 in 3 Gen Z/Millennials are registered. We are experiencing rapid growth (300% over two years) in the US; recently entering the top 25 shopping apps by DAU (the only European player to do so). And we’re just getting started.
We're looking for a Head of Trust & Safety to lead our Content & User Moderation team in their mission to maintain the safety of our platform and ensure a smooth user experience that earns the trust of our users. This role is key in protecting the Depop platform and its users by ensuring we minimise the occurrence of fraud, abuse and prohibited content whilst also educating good users when they make a mistake.
The Moderation team works hard to find and remove rule-breakers and bad listings from our platform - both reactively, as we receive reports, and proactively, based on signals and patterns. This becomes every more important as we target 5M new listings each month and with a rapidly growing global user base. They're also responsible in helping to set and implement new rules and policies and working with other teams across the business (including product, machine learning, tech, legal, finance & support) to help set the agenda for further improving user trust & safety.
As we start to build out our own payments system alongside Paypal, we are also looking for someone to develop and implement our anti-fraud and dispute resolution strategy that will be of critical importance to our success. This will involve hiring and training new teams and building out new processes, policies and protocols to ensure our buyers and sellers have total confidence in the platform.
We're looking for an experienced operator with strong, strategic leadership experience to focus on team development, strategic roadmapping & continuous improvement, whilst maintaining an informed vision of industry developments so that we're in a position to safeguard ourselves & scale efficiently
You'll manage a fantastic team of agents and leads (both on & offshore) whose ultimate goal is to ensure consistent trust & safety on Depop. There is a huge amount of cross-functional work, working with our Head of Community Support, Machine Learning & Data Science teams, as well as proactive involvement with Marketing & Marketplace development. Reporting to our COO whilst we hire a Director of Community Experience, this is a great opportunity to lead a team in implementing long-term scalable solutions whilst increasingly making use of ML and tech.
Depop is proud to have a loyal and engaged community in the digital world, so we're looking for someone who shares our passion for delivering the best experience for our users, without any bias or prejudice. Whilst our primary mission is to keep our community safe, we also understand that people can make mistakes, and we're looking for a commercially balanced leader who can ensure we are always making the best possible decisions for our community.
- Develop an operational plan for our current policies on user-generated content, and how they will need to adapt with further growth
- Support the team to develop sustainable internal and external policies that are aligned and integrated across the business
- Build a strategic vision around structure and tooling that will futureproof Depop as we continue to expand globally
- Develop and execute a roadmap to build a fraud prevention function and dispute resolution process
- Work cross-functionally to strengthen our internal operations against fraud, particularly within Payments & suspicious activity
- Identify and implementing data-driven improvements for the team, reducing agent pain points to help us moderate efficiently and at scale
- Create new processes that will keep Depop compliant with international regulation and varying market expectations
- Set and manage to stretching performance targets with increased efficiencies
- Recruit, manage, train & develop a growing team of agents, ensuring they have the correct support and resources to succeed in their roles
- Work with the team on long-term goals for their growth, personal wellbeing and help them measure success
- Use information and data to provide regular insights, reporting & presentations, including presenting to the whole business as well as surfacing insights to relevant teams
- Influence senior leaders and utilise insights to leverage cross functional buy-in for additional efficiencies and development
- Act as a final escalation point in terms of policies, community guidelines and our Terms of Service, whilst ensuring that the wider business is aware of their responsibilities.
We have stylish offices near Old Street with a relaxed atmosphere and collaborative environment, where you'll get to work with a well-funded, passionate and friendly team.
We have 25 days holiday with options to buy/sell more, UK pension scheme, healthy snacks in the kitchen, cycle to work scheme, finish-early Fridays, team nights out, yoga, gym discount and more. But the biggest perk of all is the opportunity to work with such a vibrant group of people building a product we all deeply care about.