We’re on the hunt for a Senior Android Engineer to join our London Engineering team. In this role, you will help to help achieve our mission: transforming the way Depop connects with creative minds, by constantly delivering great user experiences on their Android devices. We're looking for someone who's eager to produce the most evocative buying and selling experience possible.
We keep investing in our technology, as well as the software architecture, and we achieve this through 3 core principles:
- We believe Kotlin is a great choice for writing robust and elegant code, but we also look for other functional languages which can inspire us.
- We believe applying solid architecture principles makes a huge difference when it comes to designing our features, supporting many engineers working on the same codebase.
- We believe in automation and we apply this in many parts of our release pipeline, giving us more time to work on features whilst celebrating a new version of our app every two weeks.
Want to find out more about Depop & our engineering team? Take a look at our blog!
We write about technology, people and smart engineering - https://engineering.depop.com/
- Design and implement new user-facing features in the Depop app
- Work closely with the design, product management and backend teams to ensure that new features are implemented efficiently and effectively.
- Write unit tests and instrumentation tests and integrate them into our CI environment to ensure the quality of code going forward.
- Refactor existing code to leverage the latest developments in the Android framework.
- Optimise the performance of the app to ensure that we have a minimum memory, CPU and data footprint.
- Educate the Depop family on the engineering challenges faced when supporting a wide range of devices with varying screen sizes, orientations and densities.
- Maintain a healthy curiosity towards other Android apps and champion ideas on what we can do to make the Depop Android app better.
- Ensure that our localisation efforts support introduction to new countries.
- Help make our app support tablets and orientation changes properly in the future.
- Integration of new SDKs when required within the app.
- Significant experience of Android and Java/Kotlin programming with the responsibility for shipping at least one well regarded Android application.
- Technical knowledge of mobile application development in Android with experience producing apps that feature a fast, consistent and non-blocking user experience.
- Solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and multi-threading.
- Experience in consuming a RESTful API.
- Ideally BA/BS degree in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Heavy utilisation of the Android support and design libraries.
- Understanding of the different components with the Google Play services libraries.
- Experience with Android modules.
- Understanding of Retrofit 2 for ease of integration with Http requests.
- Continuous Integration and automated testing preferably using Espresso and JUnit.
- Understanding of the Android Architecture components, Room.
- Knowledge of image downloading and caching libraries such as Picasso or Glide.
- Understanding of ProGuard and Gradle to ensure that our build tools deliver the correct result.
We want to give our engineers the opportunity to learn and grow at Depop. So if you're keen to gain experience in another language or new area of engineering we can make it happen as part of your career journey with us.
We have 25 days holiday with options to buy/sell more, UK pension scheme, healthy snacks in the kitchen, finish early Fridays, team nights out, yoga, meditation and more. But the biggest perk of all is the opportunity to work with such a vibrant group of people building a product we all deeply care about.