We are looking for a vibrant Junior Designer to work within our Private Label Design studio. You will report to the Head of Design whilst working closely with our Head Designers to create inspiring knit and crochet patterns, across a variety of brands. The position will give you the opportunity to travel to PItti Filati in Florence where you will be able to meet suppliers and be inspired by the trend forecasting.
What you will be doing
Working with the senior team members you will:
- Bring your inspiration and ideas - help to research stitch techniques/trends, garments silhouettes and colour trends which fit within the collection mood boards and briefs.
- Show off your skills - by sketching, developing your designs, creating swatches and documenting technical specs (which include all measurements, fit, relevant swatches and construction information)
- Work with our external teams - you will be responsible for sending the technical specs to our pattern writers and checkers, working with them to evolve designs and solve technical queries. You will arrange and manage the making of samples and help to finish garments such as sewing on buttons/blocking. You will also raise purchase orders and submit invoices for the work they do.
- Bring your energy to photoshoots - help to get everything ready for shoots, send out call sheets, lend a hand on the day and assist with returning props.
- Keep on track - by working to deadlines, completing admin tasks and communicating clearly at all stages of the design lifecycle.
Who you are
You are passionate about knitting/crochet and have solid experience:
- as a junior designer with 2-3 years industry experience
- designing to a brief and matching to a moodboard
- swatching in both knit and crochet
- working with a broad range of people both inside and outside the company
- working to deadlines
Working closely with the Creative Director you should be at a level where you can develop designs under your own creative steam as well as being directed by the Creative Director.
- Advanced hand knitting techniques to cover fairisle, cable, intarsia and ideally you crochet too
- Fashion / Knitwear degree and/or professional experience
- Good hand sketching ability as well as computer aided design
- Software skills - Adobe: Illustrator and Photoshop essential. InDesign and Excel advantageous.
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work to a critical path and communicate your progress
What we're offering
- Competitive salary to reflect your skills and experience
- Share options
- Smart colleagues and supportive team
- Central London location
- Working environment that values creativity and technical excellence
At LoveCrafts we’re building online communities for crafters: homes for makers where they can find inspiration for their latest projects, learn new techniques, easily source all their supplies and share their creations with like-minded makers around the world.
Since launching in 2012, we’ve grown rapidly. Our membership in the prestigious Future Fifty and 20th place on the FT’s list of fastest growing European companies is thanks to the hard work of our team of smart, kind makers based in London, Kyiv and in the USA. We’ve been fuelled by investment from Europe’s leading venture capital firms; Balderton Capital (LoveFilm, The Hut) funded our Series A round, followed by Highland Europe (Photobox, WeTransfer) and most recently Scottish Equity Partners (Skyscanner, Matches Fashion).
We’re playing with the very best in web, mobile, social, commerce and media technology as we create the perfect digital business for all things craft related. Our team is filled with ambitious, curious, entrepreneurial and occasionally kooky makers. We hire and nurture inquisitive, creative minds looking to flourish in a supportive and collaborative environment.