We are looking for a commercial and entrepreneurial Category Manager to own strategic range planning, pricing and promotions strategy as well as merchandising of the German product category. This role sits at the heart of the organisation as you'll establish a trading plan by working closely and collaboratively across the business. This is a full-time role, based in London.
What you'll be doing
You will be responsible for the sales and margin performance of the product range sold on the German language LoveCrafts website, by doing the following:
- Understanding customers’ needs through research and competitor benchmarking
- Strategic shaping of the product range in the cateogory: which sub-categories and/or brands are the priority for introduction and what criteria should be used to determine when products are discontinued
- Setting the product price strategy: how prices should be set relative to competitors across the range
- Establishing the promotional calendar
- Determining which product promotions to run when
- Determining which ranges to include in these promotions, at what discount
- Optimising the merchandising of the range, in particular
- The taxonomy of the category: how to group products into sub-ranges
- The set of product attributes used to help users find the right product
- How products are presented to users on category pages and in search: the order in which they are presented and how they are grouped
- Managing the balance of stock investment between third party and private label ranges, and between core stock, promotional stock and new products
Key success metrics
- Category revenue
- Category margins: item margin, and margin after variable costs
- Return on Stock
- Add-to-basket rate
Who you are
You're a smart, kind maker who's eager to join an entrepreneurial venture in a role in the heart of the action.
- Broad commercial awareness: this is a generalist role suited to those with experience in marketing, product management or buying who are looking to broaden their commercial skills. You will have honed your skills in either consulting, FMCG, digital or e-commerce retail businesses.
- Experience working cross-functionally with an ability to influence others
- Strong exposure to German culture, values and expectations: you'll have spent a considerable portion of your life living in Germany with an innate understanding of German consumers' requirements. You will also be able to speak German fluently.
- Entrepreneurial - these are newly established roles that sit at the heart of the organisation: you will be establishing new ways-of-working and will need to roll-up-your sleeves, try new things and see what works
- The ability to prioritise: there will always be many potential avenues to pursue in these roles. The key to success will be selecting those that deliver the most value most quickly
- Curious - much of the work will be about analysing both the market and our own performance, identifying priority areas for improvement and making clear decisions
- Analytical - solid Excel skills with the ability to move from data through insight to action
- Experience working with external parties is helpful but not essential
- Degree educated or equivalent, perhaps with an MBA
- If you're already a crafter, great, but if not, don't worry - we can help your learn about the market, the customers and, if you're interested, how to give it a go yourself
What we're offering
- Competitive salary to reflect your skills and experience
- Options over shares, pension plan, private healthcare and cash plan
- 25 holiday days pro rata and a day off for your birthday
- Breakfast, fresh fruit, snacks and an in-house barista
- Inspiring, motivated and supportive team
- Plenty of opportunity to learn and grow your craft
- Dog-friendly office environment
- Central London location in an amazing co-working space with plenty of space for collaboration, yoga and social events.
At LoveCrafts we’re building online communities for crafters: homes for makers where they can find inspiration for their latest projects, learn new techniques, easily source all their supplies and share their creations with like-minded makers around the world.
Since launching in 2012, we’ve grown incredibly quickly. Our membership in the prestigious Future Fifty and 20th place on the FT’s list of fastest growing European companies is thanks to the hard work of our team of smart, kind makers based in London, Kyiv and in the USA. We’ve been fuelled by investment from Europe’s leading venture capital firms; Balderton Capital (LoveFilm, The Hut) funded our Series A round, followed by Highland Europe (Photobox, WeTransfer) and most recently Scottish Equity Partners (Skyscanner, Matches Fashion).
We’re playing with the very best in web, mobile, social, commerce and media technology as we create the perfect digital business for all things craft related. Our team is filled with ambitious, curious, entrepreneurial and occasionally kooky makers. We hire and nurture inquisitive, creative minds looking to flourish in a supportive and collaborative environment.
Diversity is important at LoveCrafts. We aim to attract the widest range of talent into our business to enable us to create an inclusive working environment, and to reflect and understand our customers and their needs. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We aim to create a modern, flexible work environment that supports everyone to do their best work and therefore, we are open to having conversations about flexible working for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise. We are committed to providing a working environment where everyone’s individuality and unique contributions are recognised, valued and respected and where all of our employees have equal opportunity to grow and attain their full potential.