We’re going through an exciting growth period and looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer with exceptional technical and leadership skills to have a lasting impact on one of the UK's leading fintech startups.
Who we are:
Crowdcube is the world's leading equity crowdfunding platform. We enable everyday investors to invest alongside Europe’s venture capitalists and professional investors in start-up, early stage and growth businesses; in doing so we're enabling entrepreneurs to raise funds for their businesses. Watch this if you don't believe us!
We have experienced year on year growth since 2011 with over 750,000 registered investors, and over 800 British businesses successfully funded on the platform, including Brewdog, Monzo, Eden Project and many more.
What we are doing:
Our aim as a company is to continue building our product and expand our share of the equity fundraising market. In engineering, we're building a secure, scalable and robust system that powers one of the world’s largest equity crowdfunding platforms, so reliability is crucial. You will be joining our devops team with the aim of continuously improving our platform and coaching and enabling the rest of the engineering team to deliver and monitor releases.
Our engineers work in small product focused feature teams where collaboration is key. Our platform is primarily PHP/Nginx/MySQL but we are advocates of using the right tools for the job. We also run React/TypeScript and other technologies depending on the problem we want to solve.
We hire for good judgement and trust you to contribute to discussions and decisions that determine what is being built and how.
- Lead architectural discussions to ensure solutions are highly automated, scalable, secure and reliable
- We run on AWS hence with a focus on continuous deployment, and frequently evaluate our use of tools and partners
- Develop automation tools and frameworks to manage cloud deployment & configuration across production, staging, and dev/test environment servers
- Working with 3rd parties ( Including AWS) to drive and showcase best practice
- Troubleshoot and determine root cause failures and manage incident, problem and service issues
- Recommend best practice across team for scalable release management and monitoring
Ideally you will:
Be an experienced and ambitious senior engineer who wants to create scalable and robust infrastructure. Deep expertise with AWS technologies and a focus on high levels of automation is a must. Experience of the following and the ability to learn quickly is important to enable us to take our platform to the next phase of growth:
- Configuration management tools (Ansible, Terraform, Packer)
- Experience with containerization in Docker and orchestration with Kubernetes
- Experience of maintaining multiple environments (dev, prod, stage etc)
- Strong experience of implementing CI / CD pipelines across multiple feature teams
- Experience and insights of alerting/monitoring tools
- Running databases such as MySQL, Redis and Elasticsearch
You will also be:
- An excellent communicator, who actively listens and shows empathy, with an ability to influence both technical and non technical audiences
- Open-minded and comfortable questioning the status quo, coming up with new solutions and considerate of others'
- Enthusiastic and positive, with a bias to action
- A team player! We're all in this together so be supportive and understanding
- Willing and able to take leadership and mentor/lead more junior devops engineers if required
What we are offering:
We like to nurture talent and ensure members of our team develop and hone their skills through training, conferences, subscriptions to online courses, and participation in hackathons. We’re passionate and hard-working, and we take care of our team:
- Competitive salary
- We provide our engineers with their choice of an engineer-spec Mac/Windows/Linux laptop.
- We also offer 25 days holiday each year
- Pension Scheme 4% matched
- Private Medical Scheme with AXA
- Life Insurance Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Company perks such as juices, fruit and of course desk beers (Or cider)
- Company trips and activities such as pilates, football, cricket, BBQs, camping and more...
Our interview process typically consists of an initial phone screen, a take-home code task, and a half-day on-site interview. There aren’t any trick questions and the coding task has been set based on projects the team has actually worked on.
Our policy is to employ the best qualified people and provide equal opportunity for the advancement of employees including promotion and training and not to discriminate against any person because of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or disability.