Contentful provides content infrastructure for digital teams to power websites, apps, and devices. Unlike a CMS, Contentful was built to integrate with the modern software stack. It offers a central hub for structured content, powerful management and delivery APIs, and a customizable web app that enables developers and content creators to ship their products faster. Companies including Spotify, Red Bull, WeWork, Lyft, and Urban Outfitters rely on Contentful to manage content as part of their modern web stack.
Contentful is growing rapidly, backed by $80 million in funding from VC firms including Benchmark and General Catalyst, and strategic investors including Sapphire Ventures (SAP) and Salesforce Ventures.
We’re a fun team of more than 200 people from 44 nations, with offices in Berlin and San Francisco. Join us!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Seeking a strategic team & customer leader to head up the North America Customer Success program for Contentful. The Director of Customer Success will lead a team of Customer Success Managers accountable for Customers’ overall success with Contentful: partnership, adoption, value realization, customer health, renewal readiness and execution.
As the Director of Customer Success, you will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and have a proven track-record of leading a team that can produce results. We're looking for candidates that have a passion for the customer experience, and are excited by the opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment, actively developing and refining the team strategy with a metrics based process, and scaling our team.
The Customer Success team at Contentful is measured by its customers’ success rather than by renewal or expansion quotas. We believe that renewals and expansions are positive outcomes that will follow from customers’ successful implementation and adoption of Contentful. Customer Success Managers support these achievements through a blend of product knowledge, project management, and partnership – as well as persistence and patience.
In addition to working with business leaders and executives, you’ll have conversations with developers and other technical stakeholders so your background should include enough technical experience for you to be credible and persuasive with your audience. You also will have similar interactions with your technical Contentful colleagues, and will be provided training on our specific technology in order to set you up for success.
- Innovate and iterate on the Contentful Customer Success engagement model to delight the customer throughout their experience, push adoption of solutions, and highlight value back to the customer
- Drive renewals
- Design coverage, prioritization, and financial models to drive optimal business outcomes for Contentful
- Partner with sales management to align on objectives and achieve and exceed retention, growth and satisfaction targets
- Measure the effectiveness of the team, capture operational metrics, create a cadence for review within team and expose metrics and associated insights to the executive and ecosystem teams
- Recruit, mentor, motivate, and retain top talent
- Lead a CSM team that:
- Drives solution adoption by providing insights on best practices, solution usage maturity, benchmarking, diagnosing barriers and solving for those barriers
- Identifies customer risk and works with extended teams to create and execute on “get well” plans
- Advocates for customers and drives innovation, best practices, and process improvement back into the Contentful ecosystem
- Maintains regular and appropriate communication and governance with both internal and external teams to ensure alignment and transparency
- Drives mutual understanding of Contentful’s capabilities and evangelize how those capabilities create long-term value for the customer across various customer business units & organizations
- Ensures renewal readiness and paves the way for growth via the sales teams
- Drive cross-functional clarity and ownership on customer experience touchpoints, collect & share company-wide feedback to improve customer experience
- Continue to build out a world-class customer success toolkit that will enable every one of our CSMs to perform at his/her best
- Capture best practices to leverage across the team and CSM org
- Advocate for the CSM role within Contentful; be knowledgeable and communicative about CSM best practices & trends
- Proven track record with 8+ years of customer facing experience (Account Management, Customer Success or Client Services) role, and at least 5 years leading a team
- Experience in a SaaS product environment
- Proven track record of building and leading a dynamic team in a fast-moving environment
- Proven ability to design and implement innovative programs, processes, practices or methodology across the customer success ecosystem
- Relationship-orientation with the ability to build relationships with peers across the company, partners and customers
- Be an expert on best practices in change management
- Excellent written, oral, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability working collaboratively across a matrix organization to achieve results important to your customers (CSM, Presales, Sales, Product, Customer Care, and Customer)
- Selflessness, a sense of urgency, and a natural focus on your team’s success
- Willingness to travel as necessary to build strong customer relationships
- Strong understanding of Adobe solutions, capabilities, and optimal use cases
- Proven history of creativity, personal drive, and ability to meet deadlines
- BA/BS, advanced degree a plus
- Shape the future: you’ll help establish our team culture and refine and perfect our sales motion
- Collaborate with amazing companies from all around the world on their most innovative new projects
- Join an innovative, fast-growing tech company as we help drive the evolution of digital experiences to become ever-more ubiquitous and interactive
- Pick and use the tools you feel comfortable with, both hardware and software
- We offer an education budget and extra days off to be spent on learning and development
- Relocation budget to support your move to San Francisco and assistance to help you settle down in your new city
- Shape the future of Contentful: help us establish, scale, and improve our team's processes
- Travel to Berlin, Germany, at the heart of Europe, both for on-boarding and for other visits to Contentful’s Berlin office
- Work in our beautiful downtown space close to Embarcadero Station, complete with a fully stocked kitchen
- Health, vision and dental insurance
- Commuter benefits to help you get to and from work
- An unlimited time off policy that rivals the best in Silicon Valley
- A generous education budget to support your continued professional development
- Plus, Contentful socks, oh yeah!
“Variety is the spice of life” — and a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer: all qualified applicants are considered for positions regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, age, religion or belief, marital status, gender identification, sexual orientation, or disability. We look forward to your application!