Contentful provides content infrastructure for digital teams to power websites, apps, and devices. Unlike a CMS, Contentful was built to integrate with the modern software stack. It offers a central hub for structured content, powerful management and delivery APIs, and a customizable web app that enables developers and content creators to ship their products faster. Companies including Spotify, Red Bull, WeWork, Lyft, and Urban Outfitters rely on Contentful to manage content as part of their modern web stack.
Contentful is growing rapidly, backed by $80 million in funding from VC firms including Benchmark and General Catalyst, and strategic investors including Sapphire Ventures (SAP) and Salesforce Ventures.
We’re a fun team of more than 200 people from 44 nations, with offices in Berlin and San Francisco. Join us!
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a talented and ambitious legal professional for a role with broad commercial and corporate legal responsibilities.
You will closely collaborate with, among others, the Legal Team, CFO, the Sales & Partnerships Team, the Security Team, external counsel, suppliers, customers and partners. You will join a collaborative, open, diverse and inclusive atmosphere that is relaxed but driven to execute on our mission, and where learning, growing and getting things done are appreciated, taking ownership and being accountable are expected, and making mistakes is tolerated.
- Review, draft and negotiate a wide range of commercial agreements both, in English and German, including:
- Strategic partnership agreements with major technology and consultancy firms
- Sales deals with some of the most respected brands in their industries who trust their main digital content projects to Contentful
- A range of procurement agreements from real estate and office buildout projects to core cloud services, and
- non-disclosure agreements as well as data processing agreements
- Participate and help to further develop corporate governance by:
- Developing and maintaining rules, policies and procedures and regularly monitoring compliance
- Preparing and maintaining corporate documentation, including Board minutes and records related to stock options
- Supporting fundraising efforts e.g. in related due diligence projects
- Liaising with accountants, auditors, external lawyers, tax advisers, bankers and shareholders as needed
- Support GDPR and ISO 27001 compliance by reviewing and documenting data processing practices, related agreements and by drafting policies, guidelines and training
- Stay abreast of relevant laws, regulations, guidelines and policies and provide timely updates and training on changes that may affect the business
- You have a growth mindset
- Grit and willingness to learn by diving in and doing
- Attitude to roll up sleeves and get things done: “good enough today is better than perfect tomorrow”
- You thrive under pressure, can prioritize and know when to ask for and how to solicit support to get the job done
- You are or want to become “a jack of all trades, master of ‘some’”
- You are a logical and pragmatic thinker with a business minded approach to problem-solving
- You are a team player with lots of drive and initiative but you are willing and able to work independently as you learn the ropes
- You have excellent communication skills and budding negotiation skills to reach common ground even in a conflict
- You have experience at a law firm as a corporate and transactional associate and/or in an in-house legal team in a comparable role
- Some front line experience in contract negotiations
- Working knowledge and understanding of corporate law and procedures
- Interest in technology and cloud business, preferably with work experience in the tech industry
- Experience or interest in privacy and data security is a plus
- Professional level of English and German
- You have successfully studied law in Germany
- Join an innovative tech company as we help drive the evolution of digital experiences to become ever-more ubiquitous and interactive. Be a part of helping companies build modern architectures for mission-critical applications
- Shape the future of Contentful: help us establish, scale, and improve our team's processes
- Generous education budget complete with extra days off to be spent on your professional and self-development
- Be set up for success, equipped with the latest and greatest hardware
- Home office will be possible during certain periods
- Traveling and working between and from our Berlin and San Francisco offices will be possible depending on project involvement
- Hang out in one of our many shared spaces, playing games with colleagues or enjoying a full range of events, including workshops, on-site meetups, guest speakers, and fun events for the company and each team.
- As much artisan coffee as you can handle
- Brush up your language skills! Our team speaks more than 20 languages, and we offer free German classes
- Take a break and pat a pup, we are a dog-friendly office
“Variety is the spice of life” — and a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer: all qualified applicants are considered for positions regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, age, religion or belief, marital status, gender identification, sexual orientation, or disability. We look forward to your application!