We take the pain out of getting paid so our merchants can focus on doing what they do best.
We’ve built a world-class product that simplifies recurring payments and opens it up to more than 45,000 businesses globally. Processing over £10 billion worth of payments a year, across 29 countries and with offices in London (HQ), Melbourne, Paris, Munich and San Francisco, GoCardless is growing fast. But why stop there? We’re looking for a dedicated individual to take on the responsibility for the core of what GoCardless does: Making sure our merchants get their money on time, every time.
Reporting into the Director of Banking Operations you will be responsible for our Payment Operations. You will be managing our payment processing and be responsible for making sure that the £10 billion worth of payments we process annually get to our merchants on time, every time. This includes managing the day-to-day running of our Payment Operations team and formulating our ongoing payment operations strategy. You will be supported by a dedicated Payments Specialist with strong internal knowledge and focus on process and system improvement projects.
- Lead a team of high performing Payment Operations Analysts and a Payments Specialist
- Ensure the team over time can process across multiple time zones to meet our merchants’ needs
- Develop a culture of performance management, improvement and development as a foundation for excellent organisational performance
- Shape GoCardless' payment operations strategy and build a world-class undertaking based on operational excellence
- Scale our payment operations capacity through automation, not headcount
- Optimise GoCardless’ existing payment and reconciliation processes together with the Payments Specialist
- Ensure all we have full visibility and control of our payment processing and can measure the performance of each component
- Ensure that our transaction reconciliation is done accurately and efficiently and meets all external and internal requirements
- Define KPIs and ensure these are consistently met and reported against
- Communicate plans and the state of our payment processing to senior management and the rest of the company
- Ensure all relevant policies, processes and procedures have been documented
- Ensure that we can handle new products seamlessly from a processing perspective and that a solid operating model has been designed
- Work in close collaboration with Product Managers, Engineering Managers, Operations Managers and other stakeholders across the business to prioritise projects and improvements
- Liaise with banking partners, payment schemes and suppliers on operational matters
- Stay abreast of industry developments in payment services and best practices
The ideal candidate:
- You are an excellent people manager and have min 3 years experience managing operational teams
- You have a proven track record of managing and developing high performing teams
- You have a payments background and a solid understanding of the payments infrastructure and the players within it
- You have experience with formulating payment operations strategies and know what is industry best practice. You see the bigger picture
- You have used operational excellence principles to achieve efficiencies
- You have experience running operations in a scale-up/fast-growing environment and deal well with ambiguity and change
- You have a track record of scaling and optimising processes through automation. You have a good technical understanding and are able to work with Engineers and Product Managers to drive improvements
- You know what strong operational performance and KPI reporting looks like
- You have a strong understanding of transaction reconciliation and best practices
- You make data-driven decisions and understand the balance between business, system and operational requirements
- You have previously worked with external vendors such as banks and fintechs - domestically and internationally
- You have a hands-on approach and are not afraid of getting involved in the details when required
- You are ok with supporting the team outside regular working hours and being on-call when required to make sure we always pay our merchants on time, every time.
Our team comes from a variety of backgrounds and we welcome diversity – if you're unsure, please apply.