We are hiring a Senior Backend Engineer with experience in PHP to join our talented engineering team in Cardiff. We’re going through an exciting growth period enabling great businesses to succeed through equity crowdfunding, and as a Senior Backend Engineer at Crowdcube, you have the opportunity to help define and shape that experience for entrepreneurs and investors alike.
Who we are:
Crowdcube is the world's leading equity crowdfunding platform. We enable everyday investors to invest alongside Europe’s venture capitalists and professional investors in start-up, early stage and growth businesses; in doing so we're enabling entrepreneurs to raise funds for their businesses. Watch this if you don't believe us!
We have experienced year on year growth since 2011 with over 750,000 registered investors, and over 800 British businesses successfully funded on the platform, including Brewdog, Monzo, Eden Project and many more.
What you will be doing:
Our aim as a company is to continue building our product and expand our share of the equity fundraising market. In engineering, we're building a secure, scalable and robust system that powers one of the world’s largest equity crowdfunding platforms so we need to enable our team to deliver quickly and safely on our ambitious plans.
Our engineers work in small product focused feature teams where collaboration is key. Our platform is primarily PHP/Nginx/MySQL but we are advocates of using the right tools for the job. We also run React/TypeScript and other technologies depending on the problem we want to solve, and AWS/Ansible/Terraform/Docker/Kubernetes to package and run our services.
We hire for good judgement and trust you to contribute to discussions and decisions that determine what is being built and how.
What you could be working on:
We want to delight our community of investors and entrepreneurs so this could mean reinventing our investor experience by making it more personalised using AI, machine learning and backend APIs, or it could mean ensuring our investors continue to use the most up to date payment methods, or it could mean creating more tools that will empower our entrepreneurs and help them with their fundraising campaigns to name just a few.
Ideally you will:
- Be proficient in PHP (Laravel or Symfony) and ObjectOriented in general
- Have practical experience of API design, REST/RPC, and knowledge of OAuth2
- Have knowledge of message queues, RabbitMQ in particular
- Have a keen eye for testing, performance and clean code
- Ability to write clean (understandable), robust (reliable) and efficient (well-designed) code
You will also be:
- An excellent communicator, who actively listens and shows empathy, with an ability to influence both technical and non technical audiences
- Open-minded and comfortable questioning the status quo, coming up with new solutions and considerate of others'
- Enthusiastic and positive, with a bias to action
- A team player! We're all in this together so be supportive and understanding
- Willing and able to take leadership and mentor/lead more junior engineers if required
Some of the things it would be nice to see:
- Startup experience
- Finance (equity/shares/share register) knowledge
- Any OPS experience
What we are offering:
We like to nurture talent and ensure members of our team develop and hone their skills through training, conferences, subscriptions to online courses, and participation in hackathons. We’re passionate and hard-working, and we take care of our team:
- Salary 45K - 55K DOE
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Pension Scheme at 4% matched
- Private Medical Scheme with AXA
- Life Insurance Scheme
- Flexible working
- Conferences and training budget
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- £1000 learning and development budget for conferences, training, and courses.
- Weekly demos to show what we're working on, monthly team meetings and bi-monthly company socials.
- Company perks such as juices, fruit, snacks and of course office beers (Or cider)
- Company trips and activities such as pilates, football, cricket, BBQs, camping and more...
Our interview process typically consists of an initial phone screen, a take-home code task, and a half-day on-site interview. There aren’t any trick questions and the coding task has been set based on projects the team has actually worked on.
Our policy is to employ the best qualified people and provide equal opportunity for the advancement of employees including promotion and training and not to discriminate against any person because of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or disability.