Depop is the fashion marketplace where our users buy, sell and get inspired. With more than 15 million registered users in 147 countries, our mission is to empower the next generation to transform fashion.
The next generation want a different experience of fashion, that the traditional industry is struggling to provide. They want choice and individuality, the ability to buy on demand and sell on with ease. At the same time, they want to reduce waste. They want authenticity and to set their own trends. They are influenced by their peers and people they share values with. Our team of almost 200 people is dedicated to meeting these evolving needs. Our community is everything to us: when they succeed, we succeed.
Depop is headquartered in London, UK, with locations in New York and LA. With over 18M items available for sale and close to 1M unique sellers in the last 12 months we are already a clear market leader in this exciting space. We have a prime position in the UK where we estimate 1 in 3 Gen Z/Millennials are registered. We are experiencing rapid growth (300% over two years) in the US; recently entering the top 25 shopping apps by DAU (the only European player to do so). And we’re just getting started.
We have recently closed a $62M Series C investment led by General Atlantic, a top tier global technology investor, giving us fuel to embark on an ambitious global growth plan, targeting a multi-billion gross merchandise value within the next few years.
We're looking for a Director of Community Support to lead our Community Support team in their mission to deliver the ultimate user experience whether as buyers, sellers or browsers. This role is key in ensuring Depop remains the platform of choice for the next generation across the world, and driving the loyalty and advocacy of our users.
You will be responsible for defining and delivering the strategy for Depop’s community support experience based on our ambition, market positioning and values as well as the initiatives required to get us there. You will deliver a robust short, mid and long-term roadmap for your teams with clear priorities, metrics and deliverables and build, coach, train and lead your team to deliver against this.
In this role, you’ll hire, manage and develop high-performing support leaders, and help in continuing to build out and iterate on team structure as we scale. The people and processes behind the community support team are pivotal to the brand experience of our customers, and we’re looking for someone that deeply understands and believes that. You will partner cross functionally with our Operations, Data, People, Brand and Marketing teams as a custodian of our community, proactively feeding in insights from our community interactions and helping other teams develop roadmaps to address known issues and delight the community by solving issues they didn’t even know they had.
You will seek and deliver continuous improvement and efficiencies, leveraging technology where possible and use every interaction with our community as a chance to further increase their loyalty.
What You’ll Do
- Lead and manage Depop’s Community Support team to deliver a consistent high-level of customer care
- Develop and build a strategic plan that equips our community support function to scale effectively and globally with business growth
- Act as Depop’s custodian of community experience, with overall responsibility for the satisfaction of our users, especially once any issues arise
- Drive thought leadership within Community Support and across the business on all aspects of the Depop experience, feeding in proactive insight on how to tackle the root cause of issues and create a step change in experience. Drive voice of the customer.
- Build, structure, coach and lead a growing team whilst implementing scalable processes capable of supporting our multi-billion ambitions
- Set and meet challenging targets for performance and efficiency across all your teams. Create simple KPI dashboards to communicate across the organisation
- Own and manage to significant budgets for what is one of our largest costs
- Work with our technology teams to implement increasing automation in all processes where possible
- Develop and implement a forward looking outsourcing strategy & efficiently manage third party relationships within demanding performance expectations
- Pro-actively influence Depop policies and look out for potential future issues that may impact our community and our reputation
- Convert contacting users into loyal brand evangelists – build your teams into profit centres rather than cost centres
- Motivating, inspiring and developing the broader Community Support team, taking a hands on role as required
- Embody our core values and add to our culture. You’ll help set the tone across the team of what it means to be customer-obsessed
- Creating the right team management structures, policies and procedures.
- Significant experience in the customer/ community support space in a management capacity
- Experience of having led and scaled a customer facing team in a fast growing company, that operates across multiple channels
- Background in eCommerce or digital services, ideally in a marketplace environment
- Have implemented and/or optimised customer-related technologies e.g. Zendesk
- Strong leadership skills, with the gravitas to define and champion the community experience, challenging other leaders in the business where necessary.
- The analytical rigour and problem solving skills required to build business cases and analyse and report on outcomes in a data-driven company.
- Drive to inspire and motivate a team built on people management experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication, as well as data visualisation, skills
- Experience operating with and amongst senior leaders (e.g., executive/director level)
- Balance attention to detail with swift implementation
- Outstanding problem solving skills leveraging data-driven insights
Bonus Points If
- Experience within a tech-first start-up
- Experience running data analysis, including volume forecasting
- Experience operating across multiple territories
- Passionate about fashion
We have stylish offices near Old Street with a relaxed atmosphere and collaborative environment, where you'll get to work with a well-funded, passionate and friendly team.
We have 25 days holiday with options to buy/sell more, UK pension scheme, healthy snacks in the kitchen, cycle to work scheme, finish-early Fridays, team nights out, yoga, gym discount and more. But the biggest perk of all is the opportunity to work with such a vibrant group of people building a product we all deeply care about.