Depop is the fashion marketplace where the next generation buy, sell and get inspired. Our mission is to empower the next generation to transform fashion, and our team of nearly 200 people is dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience to serve the needs of our global community.
We are headquartered in London, UK with locations in New York and LA, and have more than 15 million registered users in 147 countries.
We have a prime position in the UK where we estimate 1 in 3 Gen Z/Millennials are registered. We are experiencing rapid growth (300% over two years) in the US; recently entering the top 25 shopping apps by DAU (the only European player to do so).
And we’re just getting started.
Following the close of our recent $62M Series C round and with ambitious global growth plans ahead, we are looking to make our first in-house legal hire.
This senior-level role will be in charge of establishing and developing our legal function with responsibilities ranging from day to day problem solving and contract reviews through to setting the strategic legal agenda, risk management and mitigation and supporting the leadership team with any future financing events. As a senior leader in the business, your role will play a significant part in contributing to our growth, with your recommendations flowing through to Board level and embedded across the whole platform.
We’re looking for an experienced, practical and commercially minded individual who is prepared to be hands on and collaborative whilst building out our legal function and processes over the next year, to scale in line with our ambitious growth trajectory. This role will work closely with all areas of the business, taking over the management of our external legal advisers, whilst looking to in-source where possible.
Success in this role is about being both proactive and reactive - dealing pragmatically with issues as they arise but putting in place the processes and systems to prevent issues arising in the first place and putting us on firm legal footing in a constantly changing external environment. You will report to the Finance Director with a dotted line into and working closely with the COO.
No week is the same at Depop, therefore the successful candidate needs to thrive in an uncertain and rapidly changing environment. They need to be a self-starter, commercially minded and willing to get stuck in but equally be able to set things in a broader strategic and legal context. Ideally they will have had exposure to a high-growth, venture backed tech environment, especially digital or e-commerce.
- Reviewing, improve & establish our legal frameworks and processes, including contract, IP and statutory requirements.
- Working very closely with the Company’s leadership, including the Finance Director, COO & CEO on company critical legal and investment matters.
- Developing and executing on short and long-term strategy for scalable growth of the Legal function and its role at Depop, including building out the Legal team.
- Acting as a key stakeholder with all international teams to ensure consistency of legal terms across the business as the Company expands.
- Review the company’s key risks from a legal perspective and plan a strategic roadmap for mitigation.
- Advising the business on, and negotiating, M&A or joint partnership activity.
- Advising and coordinating the business on legal matters relating to Company financing, due diligence and other compliance requests.
- Supporting the negotiating and closing of commercial transactions, for both ongoing suppliers and new opportunities.
- Oversee Company Secretarial activities and requirements.
- Assisting external-facing teams with responses to any external litigation, risk matters or media requests.
- Acting as a key stakeholder on data protection matters across the business, alongside the DPO and other internal teams.
- Ensuring our marketing, technology and product teams are always operating in a legally compliant way.
- On-boarding, managing and “auditing” external legal advisers.
- Supporting and leading where required on legal matters related to our people, including the administration of share option schemes.
- At least 3 years post qualified experience at a top-tier City law firm. In-house experience at relevant companies will also be considered.
- Essential to be qualified to practice law in England, and have experience in either commercial or corporate law. Ideally you would have experience in company financing rounds.
- You will need to be hands on in carrying out legal work.
- You will be an ambitious, dedicated individual that is excited about the opportunity to develop a legal team in a fast-paced global business.
- You will need prior experience dealing with stakeholders across all levels of a business, from the board to the front line.
- You will need to work in an agile manner, able to prioritise an ongoing list of tasks, with a solutions-driven approach.
- Prior experience of working with or inside high growth technology businesses and/ or working with young people/ user-generated content, is very desirable.
We have stylish offices near Old Street with a relaxed atmosphere and collaborative environment, where you'll get to work with a well-funded, passionate and friendly team.
We have 25 days holiday with options to buy/sell more, UK pension scheme, healthy snacks in the kitchen, cycle to work scheme, finish-early Fridays, team nights out, yoga, gym discount and more. But the biggest perk of all is the opportunity to work with such a vibrant group of people building a product we all deeply care about.