Depop is the fashion marketplace where the next generation buy, sell and get inspired. Our mission is to empower the next generation to transform fashion, and our team of nearly 200 people is dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience to serve the needs of our global community.
We are headquartered in London, UK with locations in New York and LA, and have more than 15 million registered users in 147 countries.
We have a prime position in the UK where we estimate 1 in 3 Gen Z/Millennials are registered. We are experiencing rapid growth (300% over two years) in the US; recently entering the top 25 shopping apps (the only European player to do so).
And we’re just getting started.
Python makes up a large portion of our back-end codebase, as part of a high-throughput application processing 1000's of requests per second. We're looking to bring on an experienced Python Developer to work on a number of technically and strategically challenging projects, that impact our 15 million users.
Initially, you'll be focused on helping us to modernise our Python ecosystem as part of our Scalability team. There may be additional projects in collaboration with our Product teams, focused on localisation and authentication systems.
You'll get to work in a product-centric business, as part of an engaged team (who love what we build) whilst making a tangible impact and leaving a legacy. Sound like your thing?
Want to find out more about Depop & our engineering team?
We write about technology, people and smart engineering right here -https://engineering.depop.com/
- Helping our Scalability team to upgrade our backend code from Python 2.7 to more modern versions by early 2020; ultimately, making sure it's fit to match our growing ambitions.
- Expertly navigating our large existing codebase, ensuring successful migrations to newer versions (rewriting some code where necessary; i.e. if some libraries don't work)
- Work on additional projects as part of a Product team on some novel localisation and authentication systems.
- Actively engage in our culture of code-review and feedback
- Deep experience working with large Python codebases
- Familiarity with RESTful API frameworks (we love Django, but can appreciate Flask too!)
- Knowledge and exposure to modern Agile software development processes (we deploy several times per week)
- A strong problem solving aptitude, with attention to detail
- A desire to work on strategically important projects
As a contractor with Depop, you'll benefit from healthy snacks in the kitchen, finish early Fridays, team nights out, yoga, meditation and more. We also run regular internal programming meet-ups (with pizza!) and external meet-ups.
Depop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.