Sr. Software Engineer, Search
We believe that phone calls should be secure, engaging. We believe the phone app is the most outdated app on your smartphone, that the phone network is the largest social network in the world and it lacks a trust and engagement layer. You should be able to easily find and connect with the businesses you want, without hassle. Hiya is building the modern layer for the phone call experience. We already serve nearly 100M users worldwide directly through our apps and in partnership with mobile device makers like Samsung and mobile carriers like AT&T. Are you ready to help us get the next 900M users?
We are hiring a Sr. Software Engineer to help us build our local search engine to help consumers find the businesses they want to call.
As a Sr. Software Engineer for Search, you'll:
- Architect, design, implement and maintain a global search service with hundreds of millions of searches per month.
- Work directly with product managers to define and execute on product ideas.
- Help us understand the additional data and signals we need to provide better search relevancy on our results.
- Help us determine the quality of new business data sources around the world.
- Work closely with our team in London and Seattle.
You don't have to check all the boxes, but we think these are important requirements for this role:
- Strong software engineering skills -- that will be 75% of your work.
- Knowledge of Scala or another functional programming language.
- Expertise with highly scalable, highly available cloud-based services.
- Experience using ElasticSearch, Solr, Lucene as a proper location-based search service.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, both in English and in Hungarian.
- You have worked at a startup or startup-like environment -- you are self-driven, can work independently, and you are not afraid of change.
- A Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent degree.
This is a unique opportunity to help us deliver exciting new features directly into the Phone app experience helping millions of users around the world.
Hiya is committed to diversity and inclusion and we desire to build a team with a variety of perspectives, identities, and professional experiences. It's our intention to evaluate each candidate exclusively in the merits of their skills, competencies, and contribution to the organization.
This position is based in Budapest on our beautiful office, at a premier location.