Luno is a leading global cryptocurrency company operating across more than 40 countries and with offices in London, Singapore and Cape Town. We’re Series B-funded and backed by some of the top tech investors in the world.
Our products and services make it safe and easy for people and businesses to store, buy, use and learn about cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum. Our vision is to upgrade the world to a better financial system.
How we work
Our engineering team (currently >90 engineers) is split into organisations which we call Fleets. Each Fleet focuses on a core area of our product (consumer applications, business operations, new business, growth and marketing etc.). Each Fleet contains multiple smaller teams called Pods, each of which focuses on a specific aspect of that product.
A pod will include a product owner, back-end engineers, Android and iOS developers, and web developers who each bring a unique perspective to the problem you are all contributing towards. Engineering Managers at Luno take ownership and manage at Fleet-level.
We're agile, use continuous integration and continuous delivery, deploying to production every single day.
What you'll do
- Manage multiple teams of Software Engineers, totalling up to 15 direct line reports spread across London, Cape Town and Johannesburg
- Attract, hire and grow exceptional Software Engineers
- Provide leadership to your teams, including setting clear direction, and enabling alignment on strategy and business objectives (OKRs)
- Oversee key projects, ensuring your teams deliver projects on time and with high quality
- Work with Product Managers to plan and prioritise
- Serve your people - mentoring, coaching and growing your team members
Your first 90 days
You will start by flying to Cape Town for two weeks to learn our processes, meet the wider team and start our engineering on-boarding program. After getting comfortable with the basics, you'll start learning our idiomatic patterns in a safe, easy-to-follow way - by building your own toy micro services. You'll get to practice how we do design docs, code reviews, deployments, events, logging and monitoring.
You’ll meet the Pods you’ll be leading and quickly align on the teams’ current OKRs and product roadmap. We succeed as a team, so we will provide you with regular feedback from your manager (Engineering Director) and peers (we currently have four Engineering Managers) and will encourage you to do the same.
As an experienced Engineering Manager, you’ll need
- Experience in leading software engineering teams
- A servant-leadership mentality
- Experience with the OKR framework
- Proven experience in hiring, growing software engineers, and performance management
- A degree or equivalent working experience in a technical discipline (e.g. computing, mathematics, physics)
- Experience writing code and designing software systems
- To exemplify the 10 Luno Moontality values
What’s in it for you?
We're providing a phenomenal opportunity to learn more about cryptocurrencies, blockchain, emerging markets, and together we'll work together to scale a global business.
- You’ll work and lead multiple globally distributed teams.
- You’ll gain experience working in a mobile-first fast scaling business with 3 million customers, handling billions of USD transactions, where quality and security come first.
- We’ll provide you with support and learning opportunities to further develop as an engineering leader through our leadership development program, and access to thousands of Udemy courses.
- We'll take care of lunch Monday - Thursday, and organise regular social events for team bonding.
Don’t be put off if you don’t tick all the boxes – they’re a guide based on what we’d love to see but we appreciate that excellent leaders have diverse backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our London office has step-free access from the front door to your desk. You'll need to hold the legal right to work in the UK already as we cannot provide visa sponsorship.