Citymapper makes cities usable. We help people to move through our urban spaces, getting from A to B.
Deceptively simple, and incredibly difficult to achieve with any level of success. Having planned billions of journeys for millions of users around the world, our custom-built routing systems are the very heart of what makes Citymapper useful.
You will help us rank the relevant options out of hundreds of possible routes for a specific journey at a specific time, leverage user behaviour to refine our understanding of how real people move about, and deploy these into reliable systems that scale from the middle of the night to peak rush hour.
This role means trying to answer questions like:
- How can we use realtime information like disruptions and delays in routing results?
- What does each of our users actually do when they move about their city, so that we can give them even better results?
- How can we find routes combining public transport and private players like cabs, scooter and bikes?
What you’d be doing to help us solve these challenges:
- write Python 3 as well as C++ code and tests
- deploy and support your code on AWS
- train machine learning models based on user behaviour
- work side-by-side with talented software engineers, product designers, data scientists, and customer support operatives on a day-to-day basis
- learn about new technologies
- teach us how to be better
Ultimately we don’t have hard requirements beyond needing you to be smart, curious, and keen to get stuck in. However we are looking for candidates with some professional software engineering experience. Experience with OpenStreetMap and/or graph optimization problems are a plus.
- Tech: Python 3, C++, Go
- Tooling: GitHub, AWS, SQL, Linux
- Best practices: code reviews, tests, CI
- Competitive pay
- Meaningful equity / stock options
- Working in a not-too-big, diverse engineering team
- Influence over the product that you and your friends use every day
- Working on something meaningful - help to make cities usable
- Opportunity to travel to our 40+ cities to help us make the app even better
- Perks like dinner every night and regular team events
- Support to find the next step in your career, whether it’s an incremental improvement or an ambitious leap forward
- Arcane public transport knowledge with which to dazzle your friends