Depop is the fashion marketplace where the next generation buy, sell and get inspired. Our mission is to empower the next generation to transform fashion, and our team of nearly 200 people is dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience to serve the needs of our global community.
We are headquartered in London, UK with locations in New York and LA, and have more than 16 million registered users in 147 countries.
We have a prime position in the UK where we estimate 1 in 3 Gen Z/Millennials are registered. We are experiencing rapid growth (300% over two years) in the US; recently entering the top 25 shopping apps (the only European player to do so).
And we’re just getting started.
Lead the team building cutting edge systems that are delivering personalisation to over 16M users
Depop is looking for a product-orientated Lead Software Engineer to join one of our core cross-functional teams.
You'll lead a team of engineers that are building and delivering industry-leading search and recommendation systems. We're currently recommending 500,000 unique items per day to our user base, and performing over 1.5 billion searches per month, with both systems continuing to scale as our user base grows globally.
Initially, your focus will be on improving our existing recommendation platform, with further greenfield projects on our 2020 roadmap to refine search results (moving from recency to relevance) and improve personalised browse experience. All the while, prioritising your team's professional growth, championing best practice software development and reinforcing a healthy engineering culture.
You'll be working in a technically innovative environment, building high-traffic and scalable distributed systems that service 10,000s of concurrent users, mentoring and coaching other engineers, and iterating and improving your teams work based on short feedback loops. Sound like your thing?
Want to find out more about Depop & our engineering team? Take a look at our blog.
We write about technology, people and smart engineering - https://engineering.depop.com/
- Driving the roadmap from a technical perspective, collaborating closely with Product, and translating ideas to code
- Helping your team design systems that can keep up with Depop’s growth
- Growing your team’s sense of ownership; from running their own services to monitoring, maintenance and reacting to production issues
- Ensuring timely delivery of your teams’ projects, which will ultimately have a tangible impact on Depop’s success
- Supporting a strong engineering culture, orientated on technical innovation, and professional development
- Ensuring your team follows our engineering practices, by leading from the front
- Experience building high-traffic systems servicing 10,000s of concurrent users
- You have experience of building Search, Recommendation, or Feed-based systems (using underlying search engines such as ElasticSearch, Lucene etc.)
- Expert knowledge with a high-level programming language (e.g. Java, Scala, Python)
- Strong knowledge of systems design, within a modern cloud-based environment (AWS, GCP)
- Experience working in a B2C product-based technical environment
- Successful end-to-end delivery of your team’s projects; from scoping and translating business requirements into plans, to design, implementation and maintenance, whilst coordinating with other teams (and engineers).
- Good people management and mentoring experience; we want you to help shape and develop our people
- You’re experienced in improving your team’s way of working (e.g. testing, deployment, delivery)
- Reinforce the ‘you build it, you ship it’ mentality to your teams working methodology, ultimately, owning the underlying infrastructure
- Exemplary communication skills, especially in dealing with multiple stakeholders
Depop offers the opportunity to work in one of the UK's fastest-growing scale-ups, with a vibrant and diverse group of people, building a product we all deeply care about, in addition to:
- Learn and Grow: We sponsor and run a myriad of programs, conferences and meet-ups to up-skill our employees and enhance their journey with us, just ask!
- Wellbeing: We care about wellbeing. We offer a cycle to work scheme, healthy fruit and snacks in the office, breakfast every Tuesday, eye-care vouchers and a discounted gym membership.
- Mental Health: Mental health is a top priority for Depop. We offer subsidised counselling appointments through SelfSpace, have mental health first aiders and also run yoga, meditation and more.
- Work/life balance: We have 25 days of holiday with the opportunity to buy or sell 5 more, a day off for activism, and sabbaticals for our long-serving employees.
- Family life: We offer flexible working (based on your team), generous parental leave policies, and, all of our offices are dog-friendly!
- Financial: We match up to 6% on your pension and offer discounts through BenefitHub.
- Fun: We love to celebrate our successes at Depop. On Friday we finish an hour early to socialise with free food, and have amazing Winter and Summer Parties. We also host internal employee socials such as quiz night, games night, movie night and more.
Depop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.