The world is changing.
We all want something different.
At Luno, we see you as an individual.
Together, we are upgrading the world of work to unleash the potential within and empower you to become the best possible version of yourself.
Upgrading the entire planet to a new financial system is a challenge of epic proportions. Like the first moon landing, it requires a special kind of people working together with unusual skill, focus and determination. We’re changing the world, and to do so, we need the best team on board for our mission. In short, to achieve our goals, we need rockstars.
A bit about us:
- We make it safe and easy to buy, store and learn about cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum.
- We currently have over 3 million customers across 40 countries.
- We are Series B funded, backed by Balderton Capital and the Naspers Group.
- Our platform has processed over 8 billion dollars since we’ve launched
- We’re proud to be one of the world’s most international cryptocurrency teams from 26 different nationalities — working across South Africa, Indonesia, the United Kingdom, Malaysia, Nigeria and Singapore.
The role in a nutshell:
As Head of Product Design, you’ll have a solid understanding of what it takes to get the best out of your team. You’ll bring your experience as a people manager and leader into a well-established team of Product Designers and UX writers, and know that your focus is on growing people, not pixel-pushing. You have experience growing teams and elevating the voice of design at a global scale, and understand the importance of managing upwards. You have exceptional communication skills, are highly empathetic and able to lead both the vision of product design within Luno and the individuals you manage.
Your mission will involve:
- Creating a scalable organisational structure for the product design team and grow our talented team of product designers
- Motivating both the team and individual designers to achieve our bold, long term vision for our product
- Helping to elevate the voice of design within the company, and influencing design-led thinking across the business
- Spending time individually with every person in the product design team and providing clear direction and feedback on career growth, processes, craft and communication skills
- Partnering with our recruiters to refine the design team interview process and participating in lead generation activities (e.g. speaking at conferences)
- Establishing and monitoring the product design team’s performance and goals and participating in setting cross-functional OKR’s
- Developing clear and compelling career paths for our existing and future product designers
- Working alongside product, engineering and data managers to oversee cross-functional teams and projects, ensuring your team delivers projects on time and with high quality
The ideal candidate will have the following essentials:
- A creative heart, someone that is passionate about the managerial and operational aspects of the role, ensuring that time and resources are used thoughtfully and understanding what talent is needed to scale the product design team
- Take great pleasure in leading product designers and UX writers of all backgrounds to work together to execute on a shared vision
- Invest time and energy into guiding your team towards new goals that will help them grow in their careers and personal growth
- An exceptionally high bar for quality, holding others to that standard
- Excellent communication and decision-making skills and can show a successful track record of growing existing teams from 10 to ~50 people
- A passion for crypto, fintech and is sold on the vision of Luno
- 10+ years of experience as a Product Designer
- 5+ years managing and growing design teams
- Experience working in a global company across multiple time zones would be advantageous
Life at Luno 🚀
If you’re looking to work on something truly global and disruptive with a forward-thinking and ambitious team and the continuous quest for excellence, then this is an opportunity for you.
- You'll be able to continuously upskill yourself with access to free online learning via Udemy, Harvard and other leading providers + share knowledge with your peers.
- Visit our mothership in Cape Town for onboarding and our annual company offsite - As a team member working outside of Cape Town, you'll be flown to Luno’s birth town annually to join in-depth strategy sessions and celebrate our successes.
- We'll take good care of your appetite with free lunch from Monday to Thursday.
- Generous maternity/paternity paid time off, and even paw-ternity leave for your furry friend.
- Work with a diverse team of hardworking, ambitious and friendly people on something that will truly revolutionise the financial world.
- We are a social bunch of people, so bring on the quarterly activities and drinks Fridays for whoever wants to join!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not negatively discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.