The UK’s fastest-growing technology company is coming to the US! We are looking to add a talented Legal Counsel who specializes in data privacy. This is not just another job. This is your opportunity to be a game changer!
The Legal team sits at the heart of Revolut and is a core part of the business. Members of the team provide front-line guidance and support to all areas of the company, contributing to decisions that impact Revolut’s growth every day. From advising on new products to revising existing products - you’ll have the chance to build something that really matters. We’ll give you the freedom and tools to bring out your absolute best, and the opportunities will be limitless.
The breadth of work you will encounter (and level of commercial involvement) is pretty unique for an in-house role, from structuring credit programs to launching into new territories. We hire both generalists (typically corporate/commercial solicitors) as well as specialists (such as data privacy), alongside operations analysts, all of whom have a large degree of responsibility for Revolut’s ongoing development and growth.
We look for people who apply deep logic to their thinking and back everything up with data. We look for natural self-starters who see things through from start to finish, and who learn from every mistake. Does this sound like you?
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for a Legal Counsel to specializes in data protection within our New York or San Francisco office. The position will involve implementing and monitoring our global approach to data protection, in particular advising on and drafting data protection policies and procedures, GDPR compliance, and mitigating risk in relation to potential data breaches.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
● Excellent academic and law firm credentials
● 4+ years of strong experience advising clients on data privacy issues within private practice/in-house
● Deep understanding of data privacy
● Experience working for finance, technology or FinTech sector clients
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
● Implementing and monitoring the policies and procedures for all things data protection including drafting GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018 compliant data protection policies, building out processes involving subject access requests, preparing legitimate interest assessments, and implementing data breach reporting policies and procedures
●Taking the lead on the completion of Data Protection Impact Assessments and other privacy risk assessments to assess the impact of proposed changes to business processes and agree on appropriate mitigating actions with Product Owners
● Working closely with global Regulatory Compliance Managers and Legal Counsel to ensure these policies and procedures are followed globally
●Where required, providing advice on the management and resolution of incidents involving personal data, including advising on decisions as to whether to notify regulatory authorities
●Auditing Revolut’s current data protection policies and procedures and developing effective mitigation actions and controls
●Liaising with key internal (e.g. legal and risk) and external (e.g. regulators, advisors, vendors, partners, etc.) stakeholders as required
WHAT SKILLS YOU'LL NEED
● Besides strong analytical skills, being process-driven and having a methodological way of working, you need to have excellent communicative skills (concise and direct) and experience influencing a broad range of decision-makers and stakeholders
● Substantive knowledge and demonstrated expertise in US e-commerce, data protection, and privacy laws as well as all necessary US directives and regulations
● Experience counseling technology companies on data protection, privacy, and consumer protection matters
● Excellent business judgment, communication, and interpersonal skills
● Enthusiasm for taking on new responsibilities and challenges, even if outside areas of expertise
● Able to learn new areas of the law quickly
● Able to work in an extremely fast-paced environment, collaboratively and autonomously
● Willingness and ability to travel
PERKS AND BENEFITS
• You’ll get to work in one of the hottest and fastest growing tech startups in the world right now
• We’ll arm you with all of the latest tech equipment (Mac Pros, Wireless Keyboard and Mouse and any other tech equipment needed)
• Competitive salary
• Competitive 401(k) plan
• Competitive vacation policy
• Free dinners
• Flexible work hours