smol is a fast growing start-up taking the household cleaning market by storm. We are
building one of the fastest growing digitally native vertical brands in the industry.
In less than 2 years we’ve launched a cleaning revolution in the UK that has turned the
market on its head. Our products are revolutionary; high performance, eco-friendly and by
delivering direct they offer great value too. Already delivering over 1 million washes up
and down the UK each week and more recently in the US too. We have big plans to grow
over the next few years so it is an exciting time to be joining smol.
Technology is at the core of what we do and we are growing our product stack to keep
delivering happiness to our customers and help more join smol.
You’ll be joining a tight growth hungry entrepreneurial team, ready to bring smol to every
household in the country and beyond and we need your help to get us there.
Where we need help
You will join our engineering team to lead the way in growing and nurturing smol’s tech
stack. We are building a team passionate about our business and ready to build the
products to help support the smol revolution.
You will be working with the rest of the engineering team as well as across the business on
a variety of projects to help grow the systems and create new tools for the team and for our
What kind of person are we looking for?
We are looking for someone up for a challenge, who likes to learn and can hit the ground
running. We value curiosity, open dialogue and team work. You like sharing knowledge and
working with others and deeply care about using your skills to make an impact in
customer’s lives. If you have a high degree of organizational skills, technical acumen, and
you thrive in a fast moving environment this role is for you.
● BSc in CS or equivalent
● 3+ years of software development experience or equivalent
● Critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills
● You like working in a team but can also execute independently
● E-commerce experience
● An interest in constantly learning new tools and developing your skills
You are comfortable with
● Agile methodology
● CS fundamentals and code organization
● Service oriented, microservices and serverless architectures.
● Functional and OO paradigms
● Distributed systems architecture
● Web Service/API implementation
● Expertise with Shopify, Stripe, Recharge
● DevOps experience
● Work with the marketing and growth team to deliver a personalised customer
● Collaborate with the rest of the engineering team to deliver customer-facing
products allowing our customers to interact with smol
● Contribute to the long term strategy of the smol front end stack
● Implement best practises
● Collaborate and learn with other team members via code reviews and technical
● Build, deliver and maintain good quality scalable code
What we offer
● A fantastic opportunity to be part of one of the UK’s fastest growing DNVB.
● An experienced team invested in helping you grow
● Competitive compensation package
● An amazing culture and mission
● Flexible working (upto 2-3 days/wk in our London office)
Applicants are expected to have current work authorization in the country that the role is
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this
role, but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date on news from Balderton, and our portfolio.